Thetford reach rugby final
Thetford 29, Broadland 12
Thetford hosted Broadland in the semi-final of the Norfolk Junior Cup and knew they had a tough challenge on their hands having lost home and away to them in the league this season.
After a ferocious start wing sensation Jordan Fisher put the home side ahead with a solo try, converted by Tony Watson.
The visitors soon hit back with a converted try from a rolling maul to level the scores.
The battle in the forwards was always going to decide this crucial fixture.
You may also want to watch:
Captain Ollie Taylor, lock Jason Lumbard and prop Aaron Stokoe provided a stable platform for Thetford’s backs to attack.
Centres Dave Tanner and Damian Smith-Taylor tackled everything that run at them and Thetford soon went in the lead with a picture perfect try from Watson who received a well-timed off-load from Fisher.
- 1 Mini science centre to feature at town's riverside development
- 2 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 3 'Vital' washing and cooking facilities to help homeless opens in town
- 4 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 5 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 7 Wanted man arrested in Dereham
- 8 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 9 Logs spill across A47 after lorry and tractor crash
- 10 Team GB athlete to inspire pupils to get healthy with visit to school
The second half started and Thetford’s tactics changed from the forward battle to a territory game. This saw Watson slot two drop-goals and three penalties from some ill discipline from the frustrated visitors.
Scrum half, Richard Smith was then sent to the sin bin from an out of character choke slam which allowed Broadland to hit back with an uncoverted try.
Dexter’s man-of-the-match was Tony Watson for a brilliant performance which saw his personal tally for the day reach 24 points.
Thetford can look forward to a final date at Crusaders.