Thetford reach rugby final
Thetford 29, Broadland 12
Thetford hosted Broadland in the semi-final of the Norfolk Junior Cup and knew they had a tough challenge on their hands having lost home and away to them in the league this season.
After a ferocious start wing sensation Jordan Fisher put the home side ahead with a solo try, converted by Tony Watson.
The visitors soon hit back with a converted try from a rolling maul to level the scores.
The battle in the forwards was always going to decide this crucial fixture.
Captain Ollie Taylor, lock Jason Lumbard and prop Aaron Stokoe provided a stable platform for Thetford’s backs to attack.
Centres Dave Tanner and Damian Smith-Taylor tackled everything that run at them and Thetford soon went in the lead with a picture perfect try from Watson who received a well-timed off-load from Fisher.
- 1 Norfolk zoo keeper abandoned as a baby reunited with mother in ITV show
- 2 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 3 Rugby club hoping to 'ignite' interest following pandemic
- 4 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 5 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 6 Man charged after robbing bookmakers with a knife in Suffolk town
- 7 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Nominations open for Thetford Business Awards 2023
- 10 Man caught drink driving over three times the legal limit in Suffolk town
The second half started and Thetford’s tactics changed from the forward battle to a territory game. This saw Watson slot two drop-goals and three penalties from some ill discipline from the frustrated visitors.
Scrum half, Richard Smith was then sent to the sin bin from an out of character choke slam which allowed Broadland to hit back with an uncoverted try.
Dexter’s man-of-the-match was Tony Watson for a brilliant performance which saw his personal tally for the day reach 24 points.
Thetford can look forward to a final date at Crusaders.