Thetford pile up the points to send Wymondham packing
- Credit: Archant
Thetford scored over 30 points in each half to record a comfortable victory over Wymondham in their latest London Eastern Counties Three fixture on Saturday.
Play got off to its usual start when these sides meet, with big hits followed by slow rucking.
But the deadlock was broken effortlessly by the Thetford backs in a matter of minutes with a score in the corner from Jason Post.
The Red and Blacks put up a strong defence for a while, making several turn-overs in the process, but errors were forced and tackles started to be missed.
Thetford continued to run in the tries and had a bonus point in the bag by the 30th minute with Richard Sharp, Josh Clark (2) and Will Martin all touching down.
You may also want to watch:
Wymondham then started to show promise and big line breaks and swift thinking from Charlie Duffin led to a try in the corner from Auden Airdrie, which was converted by Tom Poole to make it 34-7 at the interval.
The visitors started the second half strongly, with line-outs going their way.
- 1 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 2 Emotional great grandma meets nine-month-old twins for first time
- 3 Family to open cafe named for 'cheeky' twins who fought rare disease
- 4 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 5 'Vital' washing and cooking facilities to help homeless opens in town
- 6 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 7 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 8 Norfolk and Suffolk election 2021: No change in Breckland
- 9 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 10 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
Within 10 minutes a penalty kick to touch gave Wymondam a five-metre line-out which was duly caught and driven over the line for Oliver Coleman to touch down and Poole to convert.
Again, errors in defence meant Wymondham started to leak tries and Thetford pulled away again, with Martin scoring a hat-trick and Rob Duchesne and Post also touching down.
Wymondham added to their tally when, from a penalty, they took a kick for a line-out which was just low enough for the Thetford winger to jump and tap back into play.
With a bit of luck on his side Wymondham winger Andy Davies merely fell on the ball as it tumbled over the line to earn the visitors their third try, which was again converted by Poole.
It was a tough day for the men from Tuttles Lane, with injuries and unavailability not helping their cause.
They are now down to eighth in the table and will be looking for a big improvement when they host Holt in an attractive looking fixture next Saturday.
Thetford, meanwhile, are just one point behind new leaders Stowmarket after winning for the sixth time in seven league matches this season.
They travel to Little Melton on Saturday to take on third from bottom Crusaders.