Thetford march into the last four of Junior Cup after West Norfolk win
- Credit: Archant
Thetford are through to the Norfolk Junior Cup semi-finals after hammering West Norfolk, who play in the league above.
Thetford relished the opportunity to be the underdogs for the first time this season and started strong. It took 20 minutes for both teams to settle in to the game and Thetford were three points down after being called offside inside their own 22.
Thetford got on the scoreboard when Mitch Steven sprinted through to score after good work by Clark. Thetford extended their lead when their pack stole opposition ball, which allowed Clark to drive for the line, only to be held. Thetford controlled the set piece and Luke Bailey picked up to charge over the line, carrying two players with him.
Clark was at the heart of Thetford’s next try when he took the ball off the back of a scrummage before offloading to Briggs to score.
The rest of the half was a tussle for possession and territory, with West Norfolk applying lots of pressure in defence and attack. The half time whistle blew with the score 19-3 to Thetford.
You may also want to watch:
The second half started with Thetford camped in their own 22. West Norfolk refreshed from the break and smothering Thetford’s attacks made Thetford work for every inch of field position.
Big carries from Aaron and Ben Waters relieved some pressure before Martin used his exceptional footwork to break the line and offload to the supporting Luke Bailey to score. This try turned the tables and in a 20 minute period Thetford pressured West Norfolk.
- 1 What is the fuel situation looking like in Thetford?
- 2 Harley-Davidson motorcyclist dies in A134 crash
- 3 How 'inadequate' school is making strides towards 'bright future'
- 4 Van overturns while trying to enter A11 petrol station
- 5 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 6 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 7 Thetford man charged with abduction of 17-year-old girl
- 8 Drivers delayed following accident in Brandon
- 9 Thetford man wanted in connection with assault
- 10 Norfolk man in a relationship with teen he abducted, court told
Jasper Spencer scored after quick hands saw Stevens run 60 metres before the ball was recycled out to Spencer who carried four defenders over the line to score his debut try.
The pack stepped up and continued to dominate the scrummage, driving over the line for captain Chris Thomas to score.
The final points were scored By Thetford with their tales up and so many willing ball carriers Thetford took the ball from a line out in their own 22 to the oppositions 22 sucking in more defenders with each Carry, Eventually the ball was passed wide from touchline to touchline for Gardiner to score. The final whistle blew and the score stood at 43-3. Thetford will face Crusaders in the semi-final.