Thetford lose out to Debenham

Three first-half goals from Gedny, Barker and Vince gave a buoyant Debenham LC side victory in last night's Ridgeons League Division One game at Mundford Road.

Thetford boss Mick Money is hoping that his side, buoyed by a fine 1-0 win over top-ten side Godmanchester, can keep the momentum going in the next three games - all at home.

He said: “We were chuffed by the Godmanchester result. We have been training really hard over the last few weeks when they have been without a game.

“It was good to get a result there - they are in the top ten and they beat us 3-0 at home. It was a nice revenge.

“I played a few players who haven't been getting in the side - players had something to prove.”

He added: “We have three home games on the trot - Halstead, Gorleston and Clacton, that should be an interesting three games.

“Now we've beaten Godmanchester hopefully the spirits are high and we can get a result in these games.”

Most Read

He admitted Saturday's game against Halstead would be difficult. “It is going to be tough, they are third in the league. But there is no-one in the league we fear - everybody's beatable. We are a lot tighter than we were.”

Manager Mick Money brought in youngsters Webb and Collins-Reed for their full debuts for Thetford in the game at Bearscroft Lane against Godmanchester.

Opening exchanges were equal with Richards clearing off the line for Thetford in the fourth minute.

Skipp's free-kick on 10 minutes fell for Browne and his shot was saved down low by the home keeper.

On 27 minutes Godmanchester had problems clearing a corner and when the ball was put back into the area Webb thought he had opened the scoring but was ruled out for offside.

With the wind in their favour Thetford's long ball through the middle from keeper Bilham was becoming a threat and it was no surprise when on 35 minutes Thetford took the lead.

Bilham's clearance was picked up by Browne and Bryant controlled the loose ball and slotted home impeccably.

On the stroke of half-time Browne clipped a 30-yard shot inches over.

A scrappy second half was to follow. In the 51st minute Bryant made the most of a defensive mix-up and the home keeper brought him down in the area, earning himself a booking in the process.

Brewer's weak penalty was fumbled by the Godmanchester keeper and Brewer too earned himself a booking with the follow-up challenge after failing to double the advantage.

The home side never threatened the Town goal after this and Thetford were good value for the well-earned three points.