Thetford leap further up table
THETFORD Town have leapt further up the Ridgeons Division One table after beating visitors March 3-1 last night.
On Saturday, they had risen one place to seventh with an emphatic win over Team Bury, Matt Blake cracking an impressive hat-trick.
Only seven matches in the whole league programme had survived a waterlogged weekend.
Thetford manager Mark Scott said his side are now in a position where they cannot wait for the next game, at Ipswich Wanderers on Saturday (3pm).
Of the win over Team Bury, he said: “It was a pleasing result and one that was due, the way we have been playing.
You may also want to watch:
“We played some nice football and scored some great goals, none more so than Matt Blake. “All his goals were from outside the area and were really good strikes. His third was from a free-kick from 28 yards.”
Other goals came from Martin Carter, Dan Jones and Sean O’Donnell.
- 1 Mini science centre to feature at town's riverside development
- 2 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 3 'Vital' washing and cooking facilities to help homeless opens in town
- 4 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 5 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 7 Wanted man arrested in Dereham
- 8 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 9 Logs spill across A47 after lorry and tractor crash
- 10 Team GB athlete to inspire pupils to get healthy with visit to school
Team spirit was “fantastic”, said Scott. “We are on a really good run with only two defeats this year.
“One was by Team Bury, the other at King’s Lynn in the semi-finals of the Norfolk Senior Cup, a game we were not really expected to win.”
Thetford 6, Team Bury 0
Thetford dominated from the start with Bolton going close on five minutes. Then Dixon had an effort well saved by Greygoose.
Town took the lead on 15 minutes when Blake flicked on a Jones corner before O’Donnell got the final touch. Bury had their moments but Bowden in goal coped well.
Town went two up on 20 minutes when good work from Mann saw his pass find Blake who made no mistake from the edge of the box.
Town playing good football in difficult conditions saw further efforts from Jones and Bolton before the break.
Bury had some early pressure which saw a good save from Bowden, but Town increased their lead on 56 minutes when Mann found Blake whose run and finish gave Greygoose no chance.
The weather got worse but Town continued to pressure and a shot from Jones was will held by Greygoose but Jones finally got his reward when his shot deceived everybody to nestle in the bottom corner.
With the pitch getting worse mistakes saw Bowden save well before a Tavares effort was saved.
Carter made it 5-0 with a close range header. Blake completed his hat-trick with a free kick from 25 yards.
Town were reduced to 10 men when Dixon was shown a red card. Town continued their fine form with another impressive win.
Thetford U18 host Stowmarket on Monday, 8pm.