Thetford keep their cool to get back to winning ways
- Credit: copyright ARCHANT 2017
Thetford Town got back to winning ways in Division One of the Norfolk Alliance when they beat Mattishall by five wickets at Mundford Road on Saturday.
Mattishall posted a par score of 250 all out and the hosts overhauled their target in the final over to move back up to fourth in the table, 27 points adrift of the promotion places.
Thetford have a opportunity to close that gap on Saturday (1pm) when they welcome second placed Dereham to Mundford Road.
At one stage the visitors were in a great position to post a total approaching 300 but Joe Hills (8.5-1-45-3) and Craig Baulch (10-0-36-4) had other ideas.
A new-look Thetford opening line up of Neil Lockwood (43) and Baulch (27) dominated the Mattishall attack early on and put their side in a fantastic position at 62-1 after 11 overs.
You may also want to watch:
Dan Weber (10-0-44-3) looked the only real threat and after he had removed Baulch and Ryan Conroy (65), Thetford required 58 off the last 11 overs. Liam Conroy (60 not out) was ably supported by Greg Mann (10) and Usmaan Iqbal (13 not out) and finished the job with three balls remaining.
The John Mayes Engineers man-of-the-match was Baulch for his fantastic spell of bowling and his useful knock.
- 1 Man charged with supplying Class A drugs in Thetford
- 2 Schools in Norfolk closed or partially shut due to coronavirus
- 3 Viking themed children's play area confirmed at town's historic park
- 4 Illegal puppy farm warning as one in ten plan to buy dog for Christmas
- 5 'Disgusting' - councillor slams culprits for defecating on footpaths and in front gardens
- 6 Shoppers support market town traders as second lockdown lifts
- 7 Stephen Fry voices heart-warming animation of rescued blind horse
- 8 Dozens of new Covid marshals to become 'the eyes and ears of the districts'
- 9 Arrest after man found with wooden baton and £30,000 in cash
- 10 Fresh calls for Norfolk to move to tier one ahead of key Commons vote
Thetford A suffered defeat in a low scoring Division Six game at Horsford B after being bowled out for 147.
Thetford were put into bat and the Horsford opening bowlers were straight into their work, taking four wickets for just 25. Only Gavin Siriwardena (36) contributed from the top five with the tail trying their best to get the team to a respectable score. Joel Fernandes (27), Chris White (23) and 14-year-old Alistair Newey (14) all played their part. Some good bowling meant Horsford needed almost 40 of their allotted 45 overs to chase the small total for the loss of four wickets.
Thetford A visit Dereham A on Saturday.
Swaffham cruised to an impressive eight wicket victory over Saham Toney in Division Two.
They bowled out their visitors for 160, with David Annakin taking 4-22, and then passed their target in the 29th over (Jasper Payne 66 not out, Alex Payne 48 not out).