Thetford hope for derby delight
Thetford Town are hoping for derby delight when they travel to Ridgeons Division One neighbours Swaffham Town on Monday (kick-off noon).
But before then Thetford entertain Cornard United in their final home fixture (kick-off 3pm).
Diss Town 2, Thetford Town 0
Thetford had won at Brewers Green Lane twice earlier in the season in cup ties and were looking to avenge the league defeat earlier in the season.
There were few chances created in a first half interrupted by the whistle for fouls, many petty in nature. Partridge was denied by a superb last ditch tackle as he prepared to shoot from 12 yards out by Carter.
Blake had a good effort on 41 minutes just wide the opening goal came in the 43rd minute.
The referee ruled that Carter pulled the shirt of a Diss player and a penalty was awarded. Garner stepped up to score past Bowden.
- 1 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 2 Homes with dedicated support for rough sleepers to be built in Thetford
- 3 Jess Glynne cancels summer show in Thetford Forest
- 4 Pair deny dangerous driving on the A11 in Suffolk
- 5 Council leader refuses to condemn Downing Street parties
- 6 Rescued Mariah and Carey recovering after A11 crash
- 7 How are England's Covid restrictions changing after Plan B?
- 8 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 9 These are the dog breeds given up most at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 10 'Dishonest to the core' burglar jailed for four years
A minute into the second half Partridge ran from his own half before shooting inches wide from 15 yards out. Blake responded with a great effort which was well saved by Webster.
Five minutes later Partridge rounded goalkeeper Mark Bowden and under pressure from a defender and at an acute angle shot against a post.
In the 57th minute Cary Clayton was shown a second yellow.
Partridge headed on for Rocastle to run clear and see Bowden use his legs in the 64th minute to keep the ball out. A follow up shot from Bryant was blocked by a Richards.
Two minutes later Cole collected the ball on the right and crossed low for Partridge to find himself in space just inside the penalty area. He took the ball on and shot in to make it 2-0.
Partridge was denied a second goal when Matt Howard blocked the ball to his head after the Diss forward headed the ball from four yards out.
In the 80th minute Richards collected his second yellow card to reduce town to nine players.
Webster tipped a high, curling centre from Ian Fancett onto the bar in added time.
Thetford: Bowden, Howard, Richards, Carter, Joseph (Haynes), Clayton, Bolton, Tavares (Mann), Skipp, Blake (Fancett), Dixon.
n Town are looking to reinstate a Reserve team next season and are looking for a manager.
If you are interested please contact Bob Richards on firstname.lastname@example.org