Thetford hope for cup upset
Thetford Town are on the Norfolk Senior Cup trail on Saturday, hoping to cause an upset by beating their hosts, Premier Division high-flyers Dereham.Thetford lost at Diss 3-1 with a team including six former Tangerines in their latest Ridgeons Division One game.
Thetford Town are on the Norfolk Senior Cup trail on Saturday, hoping to cause an upset by beating their hosts, Premier Division high-flyers Dereham.
Thetford lost at Diss 3-1 with a team including six former Tangerines in their latest Ridgeons Division One game.
Town had a chance when good play saw a Haynes shot just over. Diss then started to apply pressure and they hit the bar on 12 minutes.
Town were having trouble containing the pace of Diss and they should have taken the lead on 20 minutes but shot wide. They did however take the lead on 27 minutes when Bilham up-ended a Diss forward and they scored from the spot.
You may also want to watch:
Town could have drawn level soon after when a good run from Bryant saw his cross missed by everyone. Diss, always a danger, then hit a post before Greg Devlin tripped a Diss forward for them to score their second penalty.
On 42 minutes Town had their first corner which was wasted.
- 1 Best bargain ever? Village hall for sale for £35,000
- 2 Family's desperate plea to help find missing wartime medals
- 3 Couple caught at dawn dumping waste in forest
- 4 Indian variant Covid cases in Norfolk 'cause to be cautious'
- 5 Symptom-free Covid testing sites set to open in Thetford
- 6 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 7 Man suffers 15cm cut across face in alleged knife attack over drugs
- 8 Ofsted praise for ‘inadequate’ Norfolk special school
- 9 'Let air in' - New campaign launched as lockdown measures eased
- 10 Concerns over divide in vaccine rates - what's the situation where you live?
Town had a dream start in the second half when from the kick-off Devlin's pass found Bryant whose run down the right saw him cut in and shoot and Jones followed up to score.
This should have given Town the chance to push forward but Diss took control and some fine saves from Bilham saved them from going further behind.
Diss increased their lead on 82 minutes. Town then brought Steve Crawshaw on for the last minute to play up front to no avail.