Thetford hang on for the points to strengthen their bid for title success

Father and son Keith and Kain Rix starred for Thetford in their win over Wisbech. Picture: PAULA GRO

Father and son Keith and Kain Rix starred for Thetford in their win over Wisbech. Picture: PAULA GROOMBRIDGE - Credit: Archant

Wisbech hosted Thetford for the only game in Eastern Counties One last weekend.

The game started as expected with Wisbech playing a forward oriented game using their superior size to charge at the men of Thetford.

Thetford on the other hand used their evasive runners to carry them down the field. Despite the early exchanges being very intense and both sides stopping wave after wave of attacks it was indiscipline that gave Wisbech the chance to get close to Thetford’s line and eventually barrel over to score the opener.

Thetford answered back with two penalties and after a long spell of pressure in the Wisbech 22 a great offload from Luke Bailey put Aaron Waters in for Thetford’s first try. Matt Briggs had the kicking duties and didn’t miss one all day.

Wisbech would go into the half-time break with the wind in their sails with another try scored in the corner bringing about the half time whistle.

The second half started and the big Wisbech forwards continued to hit the Thetford defensive wall with all they had but to no avail. As the game went on Thetford looked more dangerous with ball in hand and the penalty count continued with the referee playing advantage Briggs took a drop kick at goal and it sailed over to give Thetford the lead.

Strong running from Lawrence, Pizzey and Hirsch moved Thetford closer to the line only to be denied by the cruel bounce of the ball or an overenthusiastic offload.

Most Read

Thetford would score again when the ball was played out to Aaron Waters who drew the defender and released Zak Pizzey to break through the last defenders to score.

Briggs again converted the try and Thetford led 14-23 going in to the final quarter. This lead would be reduced moments later when a penalty for offside was awarded to Wisbech five metres out from the Thetford line. The Wisbech eight took a quick tap and burrowed his way over to bring the score to 19-23.

The last 15 minutes were fiercely contested with both teams getting close but not able to get over the try lines. The final whistle blew and Thetford were very aware that they had avoided a potential banana skin.

This week the first XV travel away to Woodbridge.