Thetford Golf Club team march on in Mail on Sunday Classic competition
- Credit: Archant
Thetford marched into the fourth round of the Mail on Sunday Classic with a hard-fought 3-2 win at home to Ely City.
The match was played in difficult conditions, with high winds and rain, but Ross Sanford took control of the opening match early on and went on to secure the first point in emphatic style.
Next came Mark Henfield, who took his opponent to the 16th green before having to accept defeat.
In match three Andrew Horsburgh was also involved in a close contest, but he kept in front to win on the 17th green to put Thetford 2-1 up.
Peter Allott then made sure of overall victory with a 4&3 win so it did not matter so much when Dan Traher, having fallen behind early on, lost by a similar score in the anchor match.
Now Thetford wait for the draw for round four looking to improve on their tremendous run in the 2014 competition when they reached the national semi-finals before losing to eventual winners Wentworth.
Thetford were also in action at home to Bawburgh in the Norfolk Handicap League and they made it two wins out of two with a 4.5-1.5 win.
- 1 Two people taken to hospital after van rolls over in Lynford crash
- 2 Cash machines stolen in ram raid at Tesco in Brandon
- 3 Ever fancied being a real life CSI? Now's your chance!
- 4 Tesco supermarket in Brandon reopens after cash machines ram raid
- 5 Revealed: No one has paid £10,000 fines issued for breaking Covid rules
- 6 Noise warning issued due to increased flying over RAF Lakenheath
- 7 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 8 Council buys disused building to regenerate town's riverfront
- 9 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 10 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
It was another solid performance with wins for Mark Lingard & Tim McAlinden, Ryan Woods & Simon Gorrod and Mike Horley & Robert Bentley.
Matt Harben & Robbie O’Brien halved their match. Thetford have now won two out of two with six more matches left to play.
On Easter Monday the traditional mixed foursomes competition was played for the Powell Cleek. The winners were Roger & Vera Squirrell with 32 points, beating Geoff Clements & Heather Keeble by three points.
Five more pairs scored 28 points, with David & Janice Fossey taking third place on countback from David & Margo Horsburgh, Phil Beer & Sharon Caws, Roger & Vicki Smith and Carolyn Beaumont & Steve Cobb.