Thetford Golf Club’s Captain’s Weekend proves a big attraction
- Credit: Archant
Trevor Wignall staged his Captain’s Weekend at Thetford Golf Club which was supported by more than 100 players on each day.
Saturday saw a strokeplay competition and club chairman Jon Congdon won with a nett 68 off his handicap of 11. Jon pipped 12-handicap Terry Young on countback.
Tim Norman, playing off 19, was third with a nett 69.
Other scores: Arron Gaskell 88-18-70, Matt Bowerman 96-26-70, Toby Edwards 85-13-72, Steve Campbell 85-13-72, Brian Martin 90-18-72, Brian How 82-10-72, Jason Huggins 78-6-72, John Tavener 78-5-73, Matt Harben 78-5-73, Andrew Horsburgh 79-6-73, Doug Stephen 83-10-73, Matt Wabe 79-6-73, Peter Martin 85-12-73, Stephan Wait 99-26-73, Terry Pettitt 90-17-73.
Daryl Breen won the nearest the pin at the first and Ross Sanford was nearest the pin in two at the 18th.
You may also want to watch:
The ladies’ competition was interrupted by a heavy downpour and there were only three finishers. Janice Fossey won with 33pts, three better than runner-up Kath Malvern.
On Sunday there was a Texas Scramble with a shotgun start and the winning team was Daryl Breen, Daniel Franklin, Craig Estlea and Jonathan Franklin with 62-6-56. Runners-up were David Fawcett, Rob Bentley, Rob Kingsley and Pat Gould with 63-5.2-57.8.
- 1 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 2 Wanted man identified after Thetford shop burglary
- 3 Man due in court in connection with Norfolk stab attack
- 4 Bryan Cranston to Meghan Markle - how USO show brings stars to our region
- 5 Work starts on new £4.2m housing project in Norfolk village
- 6 Training at RAF base given positive rating by Ofsted
- 7 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 8 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 9 Two men arrested on suspicion of money laundering in Thetford
- 10 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
The nearest the pin at the third was won by Mick Tilly.
The Anniversary Cup is an eclectic competition played over the summer and this year’s winner is David Sutton with 67-6-61. Other scores: Martin Jackson 68-5.5-62.5; Steve Campbell 71-6.5-64.5; John Barton 72-6.5-65.5.
Oliver Coulter, 21, won the August Midweek Medal with a fine round of 82. With a handicap on 12 that left him with an impressive nett score of 70. He finished one ahead of Robert Bentley (14) and Bob Fletcher (10).
Other scores: Chris Foulds 92-20-72, Ian Edmundson 82-10-72, Ken Kirwan 98-24-74, Terry Blacktopp 80-6-74, Tim Elliott 86-10-76, Bob Setchell 80-4-76, Andy Vassallo 95-17-68, Brian Maiden 97-19-78, Matt Harben 83-5-78.
Thetford Ladies ended their Division Six season in the Norfolk Ladies’ County Golf Association Inter-Club League with a 6-1 defeat at a windy Hunstanton. Team captain Alison Jones won the top match on the final green but that was the only success.