Thetford Golf Club’s August AM AM proves a big attraction
- Credit: Archant
Thetford Golf Club’s August Ladies’ Am Am was a sell-out way back in January and it was a great day out for a maximum field of 112 representing 28 different clubs.
The Ely City quartet of Beverly Filby, Julie Aspinall, Eve Mair and Barbara Woods won the day with a total of 89 points, four points ahead of their nearest rivals.
Last year’s winners Jane Gurney Read, Sam Steward, Linda Sheppard, Moira Grayston of Royal Cromer and Wensum Valley had to settle for second place on 85 on countback from the Wensum Valley team of Jane Sheppard, Sharon Spooner, Liz Dann and Ali Gillings and Royston’s Jenny Jarvis, Val Squires, Jane Millership and Carolyn Delaney.
The nearest the pin prize for the Bronze Division on the third was won by Barbara Wood of Ely and Joan Hunter of Stowmarket won by Silver Division nearest the pin at the 16th.
The Men’s Am Am had been held a few days earlier and the top of the leaderboard was very congested. In the end the team of Paul Boag from the host club along with Ian Duke, Keith Howlett and John Maxted from Bourn scored 84 points to win by one. Runners-up on countback with 83 were Daniel Sartori, Stuart Baines, Carl Cheever and Tom Wallis of Crews Hill, with John Moore, Michael Hunter, Vic Abrahams and Danny Abrahams of Hainault and Clacton GC third.
You may also want to watch:
Nearest the pin winners were Adam Middle (Crews Hill), Paul Newdick (Bury St Edmunds), Michael Grover (Crews Hill) and Phil Day (Ely City).
Tom Bullen had a terrific score of nett 61 to win the Hanworth Trophy for players with handicaps between 20 and 28. Tom will not be able to defend the trophy next year — he was cut four strokes to 16. Other scores: Malcolm Fleet 91-21-70, David Benton 95-20-75, Jim Atherton 96-21-75, Mark Leeder 101-24-77.
- 1 Wanted man identified after Thetford shop burglary
- 2 Brandon bungalow blaze thought to be started by faulty boiler
- 3 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 4 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 5 Man due in court in connection with Norfolk stab attack
- 6 Work starts on new £4.2m housing project in Norfolk village
- 7 Sex abuse survivor hits out at attacker's sentence
- 8 Bryan Cranston to Meghan Markle - how USO show brings stars to our region
- 9 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 10 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
Ladies’ Lloyd Cup: Julie Arthur 82-7-75, Shirley Spreadbury 98-20-78.
Ladies’ August Medal Division One: Jess Dixon 75-3-72, Carolyn Beaumont 92-17-75. Division Two: Liz Hodgson 111-35-76, Margy Lingham 114-36-78.
Seniors’ August Stableford: 41pts Geoff Clements (11), 39 Ted Alford (21) and John Baldwin (10), 38 Robert Setchell (4) and Geoff Allan (19).
August Midweek Stableford: 39 Neil Elers (11), 38 Robert Bentley (14), Phil Beer (8) and Ken Chatteris (11).