Thetford claim comfortable win over league’s bottom side
- Credit: Archant
Thetford produced a dominant performance against struggling Beccles to maintain their promotion challenge in Division One of the Norfolk Alliance.
They are joint third in the table after cruising home by seven wickets in a match that was reduced to 35 overs per side because of rain.
The division's bottom team were asked to bat first after losing the toss and could only get up to 134-8 as Craig Baulch and Chris Cooper took 2-10 and 2-11 respectively in tight spells while Joe Hills claimed figures of 3-43 while going at around seven an over.
Openers Ryan Conroy (32) and Greg Mann (25) put on 50 and although Thetford then lost three quick wickets they still won comfortably as Neil Lockwood (34 not out) and Andrew Kerling (28 not out) put on an unbeaten 64 for the fourth wicket.
Swaffham are joint fifth in the able following a heavy defeat against an improving Topcroft side, who made 283-4 after being asked to bat first. Harry Windridge made 82, Connor Green 64 and Ian Todd 40 not out while the hosts didn't help themselves by conceding 49 extras.
You may also want to watch:
In reply Alex Payne (48) and Joe Lenderyou (26) got their side off to a promising start but a required run rate of nearly six and over took its toll and they were dismissed for 154 in the 39th over.
Thetford A missed a chance to move back to the top of Division Six when they were edged out by five runs in an exciting game at Bradenham A.
- 1 Man charged with supplying Class A drugs in Thetford
- 2 Schools in Norfolk closed or partially shut due to coronavirus
- 3 Viking themed children's play area confirmed at town's historic park
- 4 'Disgusting' - councillor slams culprits for defecating on footpaths and in front gardens
- 5 Illegal puppy farm warning as one in ten plan to buy dog for Christmas
- 6 Dozens of new Covid marshals to become 'the eyes and ears of the districts'
- 7 Shoppers support market town traders as second lockdown lifts
- 8 Fresh calls for Norfolk to move to tier one ahead of key Commons vote
- 9 Stephen Fry voices heart-warming animation of rescued blind horse
- 10 Norfolk in Tier 2 of coronavirus restrictions, government confirms
Chasing 182 in a 35 over fixture the visitors finished on 177-4, with Darren Newey unbeaten on 52.
On Saturday Thetford travel to Topcroft, Swaffham visit Sprowston and Thetford seconds are without a game.