Thetford claim comfortable win over league’s bottom side
- Credit: Archant
Thetford produced a dominant performance against struggling Beccles to maintain their promotion challenge in Division One of the Norfolk Alliance.
They are joint third in the table after cruising home by seven wickets in a match that was reduced to 35 overs per side because of rain.
The division's bottom team were asked to bat first after losing the toss and could only get up to 134-8 as Craig Baulch and Chris Cooper took 2-10 and 2-11 respectively in tight spells while Joe Hills claimed figures of 3-43 while going at around seven an over.
Openers Ryan Conroy (32) and Greg Mann (25) put on 50 and although Thetford then lost three quick wickets they still won comfortably as Neil Lockwood (34 not out) and Andrew Kerling (28 not out) put on an unbeaten 64 for the fourth wicket.
Swaffham are joint fifth in the able following a heavy defeat against an improving Topcroft side, who made 283-4 after being asked to bat first. Harry Windridge made 82, Connor Green 64 and Ian Todd 40 not out while the hosts didn't help themselves by conceding 49 extras.
In reply Alex Payne (48) and Joe Lenderyou (26) got their side off to a promising start but a required run rate of nearly six and over took its toll and they were dismissed for 154 in the 39th over.
Thetford A missed a chance to move back to the top of Division Six when they were edged out by five runs in an exciting game at Bradenham A.
- 1 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 2 'Could have caused explosion': Eco-warrior stops Thetford fire spreading
- 3 Town to host free outdoor screening of Encanto with street food stalls
- 4 Driver who altered date on expired Blue Badge ordered to pay out £3,500
- 5 Revealed: Why wasps chase you and how to get rid of them this summer
- 6 Dog owners urged to take 'five-second test' before walking pets in heat
- 7 Council fighting not to have to publish details of golf club talks
- 8 'People won't be able to afford to eat' - Locals warn Truss on living costs
- 9 'Save water' Suffolk households urged as hosepipe bans imposed elsewhere
- 10 Cable underneath Thetford could power 5,000-home development
Chasing 182 in a 35 over fixture the visitors finished on 177-4, with Darren Newey unbeaten on 52.
On Saturday Thetford travel to Topcroft, Swaffham visit Sprowston and Thetford seconds are without a game.