Thetford closing in on top two in Norfolk Alliance Division One after excellent win
- Credit: Archant
Thetford moved to within two points of the Norfolk Alliance Division One promotion zone after recording an emphatic win at Topcroft on Saturday.
While the top two of Old Buckenham and Lowestoft were both losing their games, Thetford turned in a dominant performance to win their fixture by eight wickets.
After winning the toss skipper Ryan Conroy asked Topcroft to bat first and despite a fine knock of 80 from Harry Windridge they could only reach 165 before being dismissed off the penultimate ball of their 50 overs.
Lewis Greyson led the way with figures of 4-24 while Neil Lockwood weighed in with 3-23.
Thetford could hardly have got off to a worse start in reply, with Ryan Conroy going for a first ball duck, but two big partnerships then saw them through to victory.
You may also want to watch:
Liam Conroy, who carried his bat for an unbeaten 56, put on 103 for the second wicket with Chris Cooper (64) and then an unbroken 58 with Lockwood (38 not out) for the second as victory was achieved in 33 overs.
In the same section Swaffham lost a competitive game at Sprowston by 27 runs.
- 1 Thetford man charged with abduction of 17-year-old girl
- 2 Drivers delayed following accident in Brandon
- 3 'Ugly' Norfolk pub fight was sparked by act of revenge, court hears
- 4 Island park to be named in honour of town's Sikh links
- 5 Thetford man wanted in connection with assault
- 6 Farm's 'Goats at Home' service booms after lockdown
- 7 Police appeal for dashcam footage after man died on A11
- 8 Thetford Forest invites runners to enjoy fresh air and scenery
- 9 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 10 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
Knocks of 79 from Rob Purton and 57 from Sam Hales helped the home side up to a solid 199 as Jasper Payne took 4-38.
In reply Mark Eagle scored 44 and Joe Lenderyou 35 but with Purton completing an excellent match with figures of 4-13 Swaffham were bowled out for 172.
There's a big derby match on Saturday, with Thetford welcoming Swaffham to Mundford Road.
Thetford A return to action in Division Six after a weekend off with a trip to Mattishall A.