Cooper sparkles as Thetford maintain promising start in Norfolk Alliance
- Credit: Archant
A memorable innings from Chris Cooper helped Thetford maintain their promising start to the season in Division One of the Norfolk Alliance.
Cooper made 136 in 115 balls, with 15 fours and seven sixes, as Thetford beat Horsford A by 78 runs to move up to fourth in the table.
Cooper featured in partnerships of 84 with Liam Conroy (22) and 87 with Ryan Conroy (33) while Tristan Caley added a useful 35 in the closing stages to help his team up to an impressive 313-7 in their 50 overs.
Horsford produced a spirited response, with Luke Findlay making 103 and Tom Vaughan 51, but finished well short on 235-8. Neil Lockwood was the most successful home bowler, posting figures of 3-35.
Swaffham were well beaten at home by an Acle side who were playing in top flight cricket last season.
Alex Vincent finished one short of a half century in a below par total of 140 and that proved to be no problem for the visitors who wrapped the match up in the 29th over for the loss of only two wickets. They were lead home by Tom Wilson (58 not out) and Jordan Betts (31 not out) who put on an unbroken 77 for the third wicket.
Thetford A moved 33 points clear at the top of Division Six following a 45 run win over Bradfield A.
- 1 Try roasties topped with pulled pork at town’s new street food business
- 2 Pair accused of dangerous driving on A11 set for court
- 3 Chase Star to perform at Thetford comedy club
- 4 First cases of monkeypox reported in Suffolk
- 5 New homes plan for former coal yard
- 6 Woman in her 50s who died in A11 crash named locally
- 7 Food review, Lime Kiln Kitchen: ‘A truly relaxing place for Sunday lunch’
- 8 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 9 Man charged with burglaries, dangerous driving and assault
- 10 Contact tracing scammers return as Covid rates rise
Alistair Newey's 65 helped Thetford to an imposing 276-4 in their 45 overs and the hosts finished well short, despite only losing two wickets.
On Saturday Thetford have a tough match at Swardeston A, Swaffham make the long trip to Lowestoft and Thetford seconds host their Ashmanhaugh and Barton Wanderers counterparts.