Thetford brothers Aiden and Cameron make their mark in big regional competition
- Credit: Archant
Aiden and Cameron Try, brothers based at the Thetford Academy, had double gold medal success in the Norfolk Schools Championships and both represented their county at the Anglian Schools Championships.
Aiden won a competitive intermediate boys’ 800m race with a time of 2:06.3 while Cameron Try won the junior boys’ discus with a throw of 30.82m, smashing his personal best.
Iceni Academy pupil and fellow Thetford AC Asha Soanes finished second in the junior girls’ javelin with a best throw of 21:13 seeing her through to the Anglian Schools.
Jessica Norkett was just outside the qualification places, finishing third in the junior girls’ 800m with a time of 2:26.0.
The athletes were back in action within seven days with the Anglian Schools Championships held at the Wilberforce Road track in Cambridge under intense sun.
You may also want to watch:
Aiden Try finished second in the intermediate boys 800m in a time of 2:02.2, just 0.4 second behind Archie Richardson of Lincolnshire Schools. Junior boy Cameron Try managed fourth place in the discus with a best throw of the day of 29.01m.
Junior girl Asha Soanes threw a personal best in the javelinn, launching it 25.81m for sixth place.
- 1 Man charged with supplying Class A drugs in Thetford
- 2 Schools in Norfolk closed or partially shut due to coronavirus
- 3 Viking themed children's play area confirmed at town's historic park
- 4 Illegal puppy farm warning as one in ten plan to buy dog for Christmas
- 5 'Disgusting' - councillor slams culprits for defecating on footpaths and in front gardens
- 6 Shoppers support market town traders as second lockdown lifts
- 7 Stephen Fry voices heart-warming animation of rescued blind horse
- 8 Dozens of new Covid marshals to become 'the eyes and ears of the districts'
- 9 Arrest after man found with wooden baton and £30,000 in cash
- 10 Fresh calls for Norfolk to move to tier one ahead of key Commons vote
Elsewhere, both Aiden Try and Jessica Norkett ran personal best times at the latest Watford Open Graded meeting with Norkett completing the 800m in 2:19.56 while Try beat the two minute barrier, recording a time of 1:58.02. These times have seen both athletes selected for the Norfolk team to compete at the forthcoming English Schools Track and Field Championships to be held in Birmingham.
Thetford’s senior athletes have also been in triathlon action with husband and wife team, Charlotte and Simon Smith performing well at Fritton Lake. Charlotte made it a double when finishing second in the Fritton Lake Sprint Triathlon with a time of 1:15.06 recorded over a course taking in a 750m open water swim, 20k cycle ride and 5km run. Later in the same day Charlotte also finished second in the Super Sprint Triathlon, recording a time of 46:09 over a shorter course. Karl Wright also finished fourth in his age group with a time of 47:12.
Simon Smith finished first in his age group for the Fritton Lake Standard Distance Triathlon, completing a 1500m swim, 40km ride and 10km run in 2:13.39.