Thetford battle into KO Cup semi-final

Thetford Town beat Stowmarket 2-1 on Tuesday night to progress to the semi-final of the Ridgeons First Division KO Cup.

It was 1-1 at the end of normal time, with B Tavares netting Town’s goal - and he added another in extra time to secure victory.

The same night Thetford learned who their opponents in the semi-final of the Norfolk Senior Cup semi-final will be – King’s Lynn Town who beat Wroxham 2-0.

Thetford Town 2, Ipswich Wanderers 2

BUOYED by the Norfolk Senior Cup win over Diss in midweek, Thetford started brightly against Ipswich Wanderers in the league on Saturday.

They forced Foster to make an early smart save at his near post.

Wanderers took the lead in the ninth minute, as Phillips took advantage of a mix-up between keeper Bowden and a Howard to nip in and blast the ball into an empty net.

Most Read

Thetford went back on the attack and levelled within six minutes, as a ball from Howard found Tavares and showed his pace on the right wing and cut inside, before placing the ball across Foster into the far corner.

The visitors had chances to take the lead before the break with Phillips putting the ball wide of the post when one-on-one with Bowden, Thompson had an effort just over while the Bowden was also called in to action to block Le Page’s effort.

Wanderers regained their lead two minutes after the restart as Phillips neatly fired in to the top left-hand corner after being put through down the left-hand side.

There was a 15-minute delay during the second half as the floodlights temporarily failed, leaving the ground in partial darkness.

Soon after the game resumed Thetford drew level as Mann strongly finished past Foster.

Foster then saved well from a Tarvares shot tipping the ball over the bar.

Wanderers had chances to win the game in the closing stages with Phillips hitting the post and Hetherington forcing another save from Bowden, Dixon almost scored when he lobbed the keeper only to see they ball go wide.

Ipswich went close at the end but Town stayed calm to earn a well-deserved point. Full-time 2-2.

On Saturday, Town travel to Saffron Walden Town, kick-off 3pm.