Thetford AC youngsters compete in South of England Championships
- Credit: Archant
A team of Thetford AC juniors made the long trek to Stanmer Park, Brighton for the South of England Cross Country Championships to tackle a challenging and muddy course.
Tyler Howard and Ben Garrod kicked things off by competing in the U15 boys’ race.
Tyler competed well and came home in 158th place (17.13), despite having to run with a ripped shoe after being spiked at the start. Sadly Ben was unable to finish due to injury.
Next up was Abigail Clouston and Isabel Smythe, both competing in the U13 girls’ race. Abigail was placed a highly respectable 48th (11.58) with Isabel finishing in 196th (13.58).
The final Thetford junior in the U13 boys event was James Peck who raced home to an outstanding fifth place finish (10.11).
You may also want to watch:
Finishing off the day for Thetford was Jessica Norkett in the U15 girls race where she finished an impressive 41st (15.19).
The fourth instalment of the Ryston Runners’ Cross Country Grand Prix was held at Shouldham Warren in cold conditions.
- 1 Repeat offender given £600 fine for fly-tipping next to public bin
- 2 Man suffers 15cm cut across face in alleged knife attack over drugs
- 3 Woman in 80s suffers 'life-changing' injuries in collision
- 4 Noise warning issued amid RAF Lakenheath flight training
- 5 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 6 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 7 Candidate says 7,000 rejected ballots shows PCC voting system flawed
- 8 Man stole bicycle from outside town shop
- 9 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 10 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
In the U11 boys’ race Daniel Clouston finished second position in a time of 9.00, followed by Callum Wing in 12th (9.58).
Abigail Clouston was the sole Thetford athlete in the U13 girls race and finished fourth (11.55).
James and Ben Peck both competed in the U13 boys race. James won in 10.23 with Ben close behind in fourth position (11.00).
In the 5km course for the seniors Simon Smith finished sixth in the men’s V40 category (18.32). Finishing in first place in the women’s V40 category was Louise White (20.05) followed by Sabine Schaefer in second place (20.32). Tina Plumley finished second in the women’s V45 category (22.20) and Gary Malliband eighth in the men’s V45 (22.22).
Several Thetford athletes attended the Keith Ward Open and Norfolk County Indoor Championships at Lynnsport.
Competing in the U15 girls’ age group, Asha Soanes cane second in the shot (8.79), second in long jump (4.45m) and third in the 60m hurdles (10.4). In the U15 boys Josh Mcguire came second in the 60m (8.5). Floyd Scott, in his first competition, came fourth in the U17 men’s 60m.
In the U20 women’s age group Camila Rosa came first in the long jump (4.75m), second in the 60m hurdles (10.8) and third in the 60m (8.5).