Thetford athletes shine on home soil in Norfolk Cross Country Championships
- Credit: Archant
Thetford AC were the proud hosts of the 2018 Norfolk County Cross Country championships which took place at Barnham Common.
There were a record number of entries as athletes from clubs all across the county came to compete on what proved to be a tough course,
The hosts didn’t disappoint and produced a number of outstanding performances.
First up were the U11s who took on a 2km course, with Daniel Clouston being the sole Thetford boy and finishing ninth (9:53). First back, representing the girls, was Bethany Wilson finishing in 5th (10:10) who was followed by Evie Harris in a time of 10:43, placing her 11th.
Completing the Thetford team of girls was Alicia Mae Howard who raced to a 14th place finish (11:04).
Next were the U13s who tackled the longer course of 3km. Ollie Sanders finished eighth (12:28) with Charlie Garrod just behind in 10th (13:01). Completing the course in 15:35 was Ewan Peck who finished a respectable 23rd.
In the girls’ event Abigail Clouston finished a creditable fifth (12:33) while Isabel Smythe was 15th (14.13).
- 1 Woman in her 50s who died in A11 crash named locally
- 2 New homes plan for former coal yard
- 3 'He's done it again!': Bowler's delight after going viral for a second time
- 4 New Latin American restaurant opening at Center Parcs in Elveden
- 5 Man charged with burglaries, dangerous driving and assault
- 6 Breckland builder dumped toilet cisterns and bathroom items in front garden
- 7 Cyclist in her 50s dies in A11 crash
- 8 Delays in west Suffolk town after faulty barrier at railway crossing
- 9 Ben & Jerry's ice cream sold at Sainsbury's recalled due to health concerns
- 10 Town centre's new café... with a difference
The last of the Thetford juniors to compete were the U15s who ran a 4km course. The only female competitor was Jessica Norkett who raced to an impressive fourth place (16:34). The first boy back was Ben Garrod in sixth (15:38), with Tyler Howard the next to return in 11th (16:26).
Zak Mitchell completed the Thetford team, coming home in 20th position (18:55). The impressive performances of the Thetford trio of U15 boys meant that they claimed bronze in the team event.
Elsewhere some members of Thetford AC were competing in the Suffolk Championships at Culford School. In the U13 boys event, James Peck finished in an excellent fourth (12:09) closely followed by his brother Ben in sixth (12:46). Next to finish was Callum Wing in 20th position (15:49). These fine performances also led to Thetford taking third place in the team event.
Due to their performances in the Norfolk County Championships, Jessica Norkett and Abigail Clouston have gained automatic selection for the Norfolk team for the National Inter-Counties Cross Country Championships at Loughborough. James Peck has gained selection for the Suffolk team.