Thetford athletes in Cambridge marathon action
Several Thetford AC athletes took part in the recent Cambridge Boundary Marathon, run on a mixture of road, trails and fields.
Despite wet and cold weather the event attracted several hundred participants. Cliff Bailey, Sandra Bower, Phil Bower and Brian Wright completed the event in preparation for the Three Peaks Challenge while Rosemary and Audrey were preparing for the 24 Hour Challenge.
Results: Cliff Bailey 4-01, Sandra Bower 4-11, Phil Bower 4-12, Brian Wright 4-12, Rosemary Matlock 5-07 and Audrey Norbury 5-08.
Thetford AC athletes competed in the final race of the Suffolk Winter Cross-Country League at Haughley Park, Stowmarket. This league was a series of five races, all of approximately five miles and run on multi-terrain trail and fields.
U13 boys: 2 Joseph Smythe 13:30; 3 Aiden Try 13:36; 4 Tom Mead 13:38. Junior men: 3 Joe Kirton 34:49. M45: 26 Cliff Lear 46:14. M50: 7 Tony Cantle 43:22. M65: 1 Ray Keevil 49:54. Senior women: 3 Stacey Owen 43:40. F35: 7 Hayley Cocksedge 50:35. F40: 9 Corrina Smith 50:36
Overall League results. U13 boys: 2 Aiden Try, 4 Tom Mead, 5 Joseph Smythe. Junior Men: 3 Joe Kirton. M45: 19 Cliff Lear. M50: 4 Tony Cantle. M55: 8 Brian Wright. Senior women: 2 Stacey Owen, 3 Sam Wing. F40: 8 Corrina Smith
On Sunday, Joe Kirton (U20) represented Norfolk in the Inter-Counties Cross Country Championships at Cofton Park, Birmingham. He ran the 8km in 29:39 to finish 151st overall.
- 1 Part of A134 closed after crash between lorry and car
- 2 Woman breaks down in tears as she denies making up sex assaults
- 3 Forest ride in memory of 'lively character' and popular mountain biker
- 4 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 5 Manchester City owner eyes Norfolk horse racing enterprise
- 6 Weather warning issued as wintry showers expected to cause icy conditions
- 7 Huge farm network is helping rare Brecks wildlife in field margins
- 8 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 9 Decision delayed on changes at South Norfolk equestrian centre
- 10 'Don’t try and book until the NHS says it is your turn' — PM on booster rollout
Thetford AC’s annual Breckland 10km race will be held on Monday, May 7, starting and finishing in Croxton village. Online entry, further details, and a 12-week training schedule are available now at www.thetford-ac.co.uk/breckland10k.html.