Thetford athletes impress at Southern Cross Country Relay Championships
- Credit: Submitted
Thetford Athletics Club were represented by three teams at the Southern Cross Country Relay Championships which took place in the shadow of Wormwood Scrubs prison, on the West London parkland to the rear.
The Under-15 Boys, who had a hugely successful event in 2013, finishing in a lofty fifth position as Under 13s, had a bigger challenge this time around after moving up an age group.
However, they conducted themselves extremely well and fought hard against tough opposition to finish in 11th place out of 35 teams taking part.
Aiden Try ran the first leg in 7:16 followed by Harley Swan who ran 7:07 with Charlie Swan running the anchor leg and clocking a time of 7:38. The team finished with an overall time of 22:01 in a race that was won by Shaftesbury Barnet Harriers in a time of 19:42.
The U13 Boys team finished 27th out of 43 teams taking part with Joe Smythe leading the team off with a time of 7:32.
Tyler Howard then completed his leg in 9:25 with Adam Moore bringing the team home in 8:22. The Thetford boys registered an overall time of 25:19 in a race won in 21:39 by Herne Hill Harriers.
The U13 Girls team finished exactly half-way coming 22nd out of the 44 teams taking part. Jessica Norkett got the team off to a flying start completing her first leg in 8:29. Maddie Rolph then ran the course in 8:48 before Emma Coppin brought the team home with a leg of 9:01. The U13 Girls overall time was 26:18 with Wycombe Phoenix Harriers winning the race in a time of 23:18.
- 1 Roads to have speed limit cut to 30mph after death sparks campaign
- 2 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 3 'A posy fit for a Queen' - Winners crowned in school Jubilee competition
- 4 Escaped cows block traffic on A1065 in Suffolk
- 5 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 8 Education bursary worth £1,000 launched to mark Queen's Jubilee
- 9 WATCH: Big Jet TV films at RAF Lakenheath to mark new Top Gun movie
- 10 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
Thetford AC will be represented by two teams at this weekend’s National Cross Country Championships in Mansfield.