Thetford athletes impress at Southern Cross Country Relay Championships
- Credit: Submitted
Thetford Athletics Club were represented by three teams at the Southern Cross Country Relay Championships which took place in the shadow of Wormwood Scrubs prison, on the West London parkland to the rear.
The Under-15 Boys, who had a hugely successful event in 2013, finishing in a lofty fifth position as Under 13s, had a bigger challenge this time around after moving up an age group.
However, they conducted themselves extremely well and fought hard against tough opposition to finish in 11th place out of 35 teams taking part.
Aiden Try ran the first leg in 7:16 followed by Harley Swan who ran 7:07 with Charlie Swan running the anchor leg and clocking a time of 7:38. The team finished with an overall time of 22:01 in a race that was won by Shaftesbury Barnet Harriers in a time of 19:42.
The U13 Boys team finished 27th out of 43 teams taking part with Joe Smythe leading the team off with a time of 7:32.
You may also want to watch:
Tyler Howard then completed his leg in 9:25 with Adam Moore bringing the team home in 8:22. The Thetford boys registered an overall time of 25:19 in a race won in 21:39 by Herne Hill Harriers.
The U13 Girls team finished exactly half-way coming 22nd out of the 44 teams taking part. Jessica Norkett got the team off to a flying start completing her first leg in 8:29. Maddie Rolph then ran the course in 8:48 before Emma Coppin brought the team home with a leg of 9:01. The U13 Girls overall time was 26:18 with Wycombe Phoenix Harriers winning the race in a time of 23:18.
- 1 Thetford man charged with abduction of 17-year-old girl
- 2 Drivers delayed following accident in Brandon
- 3 'Ugly' Norfolk pub fight was sparked by act of revenge, court hears
- 4 Island park to be named in honour of town's Sikh links
- 5 Farm's 'Goats at Home' service booms after lockdown
- 6 Thetford man wanted in connection with assault
- 7 Police appeal for dashcam footage after man died on A11
- 8 Thetford Forest invites runners to enjoy fresh air and scenery
- 9 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 10 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
Thetford AC will be represented by two teams at this weekend’s National Cross Country Championships in Mansfield.