Thetford athletes impress at Ryston Cross Country Series event
- Credit: Archant
Thetford athletes turned out in force for the first round of the annual Ryston Cross Country Series which follows a forest course close to the village of Shouldham Thorpe near Downham Market.
Monthly meetings see athletes from all age groups from the Under 9s through to veterans compete over distances that range from 800m to 5km.
Almost every single Thetford athlete started the new cross country season on top form with personal best times recorded throughout the age categories. The Under 9s were the first to get underway with Charlie Garrod finishing in an impressive third place, running 3:02. Daniel Clouston finished 13th in a time of 3:28 whilst Ben Peck was one place further back in 14th, crossing the line in 3:29. Two girls represented Thetford in the under 9s category with Alicia-Mae Howard crossing the line in 4:03 to finish 13th whilst Pippa-Rainbow Swan came 28th in a time of 5:11.
Under 11 Alfie Smith crossed the line in seventh position with a time of 8:54. Adam Moore finished the U13s race in seventh place with an impressive time of 12:27 whilst Ben Garrod came home in 12:34. Tyler Howard completed the race in 10th position with a time of 15:30.
The Thetford girls U13s team continued in the same vein as last season with an eighth place finish for Jessica Norkett, running 12:29, followed by sisters Emma and Clare Coppin finishing in 12th and 13th places respectively with times of 13:14 and 13.29. Maddie Rolph completed the U13 girls line-up with a 14th place finish in 13:45.
You may also want to watch:
All three of Thetford’s U15 boys finished in the top five places with Harley Swan finishing third in a time of 10:39 followed extremely closely by Charlie Stone who finished one place further back with a time of 10.43min. Kieran Moody came fifth completing the course in 11:02. Senior Lady, Alanna Chapman came sixth with a time of 21:06 whilst a plethora of V35 ladies represented Thetford in this age category with Louise white leading the way in second place with an impressive time of 20:56.
Christine Plumley came home in 5th spot in the V40 ladies category with a time of 23:15.
- 1 Two men arrested on suspicion of money laundering in Thetford
- 2 Retired firefighter looks back at four-day Thetford factory blaze 30 years on
- 3 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
- 4 Cat left 'terrified' after being dumped next to road by driver
- 5 Gym becomes community hub with café and barber shop
- 6 21-year-old airlifted to hospital after car crashes into trees
- 7 The story of Mildenhall's workhouses uncovered after 100 years
- 8 Pretty town centre terrace is for sale by auction - and it needs doing up!
- 9 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 10 New community hub for Thetford after girl's terrifying attack
Simon Smith led the senior men home in the V40 category with a time of 19:15.