Thetford and Swaffham to meet in final of Carter Naco Cup
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
The cricketers of Thetford and Swaffham have a big day to look forward to later in the summer.
They will meet in the final of the Carter Naco Cup at Dereham CC on Sunday, August 6 after both made progress at the weekend.
Thetford reached the final without playing after scheduled opponents Winterton conceded while Swaffham had little trouble overcoming the challenge of Norfolk League opponents Sandringham.
They bowled them out for just 108, with Maurice Dye, David Annakin, Michael Dye and Tom Puckey all taking two wickets, and overhauled that modest target in the 19th over for the loss of four wickets.
Both sides suffered at the hands of former Norfolk players as they lost their Norfolk Alliance fixtures at the weekend.
You may also want to watch:
In Division One Thetford’s disappointing run after a great start to the season continued when they were beaten by nine wickets by Vauxhall Mallards A at Halvergate.
The visitors were bowled out for just 146, with opener Ryan Conroy making 31, and Mallards went on to win with something to spare as the vastly experienced Steve Goldsmith (78 not out) and Carl Amos (46) got down to work.
- 1 Thetford man wanted in connection with assault
- 2 'Beers, big TVS and men's mental health': New barbershop to open in town
- 3 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
- 4 Teen to mark first ever flight - by jumping out of the plane for charity
- 5 New £39million hub officially opens to the public
- 6 Norfolk nursery nominated for national award
- 7 Part of A11 closed due to crash involving motorbike
- 8 Hotel owner providing free lunches for those in need
- 9 Teen stabbed in Thetford
- 10 A11 reopens after pigs escaped onto road
Swaffham were involved in a much closer game in Division Two, putting in a brave show before losing by three wickets to Great Witchingham A.
Mark Eagle (80) led the way as Swaffham made 185-8 in their 45 overs, with Ryan Bradbury adding a useful 28 from No 9. A fine 64 from Norfolk’s all-time record run scorer Carl Rogers then helped the Witches to edge to victory.
Thetford are at home to Mattishall on Saturday while Swaffham host Saham Toney.
Thetford A lost a tight home game against Topcroft A by two wickets after making 208-6.
Thetford made good progress early on with bad balls being dispatched by opener N Lockwood (34). R Smeed (73) and skipper M Fowler (61) then put on a 138-run stand for the third wicket before both fell near the close.
Topcroft were always on par with Thetford’s scoring and despite losing wickets regularly scored the winning runs with just eight balls left, M Talbot unbeaten on 78. It’s Horsford B away next.