Thetford all set for FA Cup

Thetford Town, who drew their opening Ridgeons League fixture 2-2, have a busy week ahead - starting on Friday when they host Needham Market in the FACup.

Thetford Town, who drew their opening Ridgeons League fixture 2-2, have a busy week ahead - starting on Friday when they host Needham Market in the FACup.

Kick-off time is 7.45pm with admission prices £4 adults and £2 concessions.

Then they have two league games - on Saturday they travel to Hadleigh (3pm) and host Great Yarmouth on Tuesday (7.45).

The reserves host Diss Reserves on Tuesday and the U18 side visits Mildenhall on Wednesday (both 7.45).

Thetford can count themselves very unlucky to return home from Saffron Walden with only one point as they dominated while Walden gave away free-kick after free-kick and just played the long-ball game.

The new-look Thetford side, with only three players from last season, started nervously as Walden bombarded their goal with their long-ball tactics.

Most Read

But once settled, they played some very controlled football with Dave Richards and Craig Skipp pulling the strings.

Thetford took the lead when a free-kick given away by Walden was punished by Craig Skipp as his in-swinging ball eluded everybody and ended up in the top corner of the net - no more than Town deserved on the balance of play.

Thetford continued to play all the football but their play was time after time broken up by Walden's physical approach, but despite all this the referee was reluctant to show any yellow cards, which was to haunt Town later on.

Just before half-time a Walden player was allowed to turn and shoot from 25 yards and his screaming effort hit the top corner of the net.

Although keeper Dan Corston got a hand to it he could not divert it wide.

Town started the second half the brighter and were soon 2-1` ahead when Greg Devlin sent a rocket into the back of the net before the Walden keeper had a chance to react.

Kam Senior hit the crossbar with a header from five yards after good work by Kwame Jones and a Skipp shot came back off a post as Town's football and superior fitness began to shine through.

When Skipp hit a post for the second time the writing was on the wall. Walden again powered in a shot from distance which keeper Corston saw late and his block fell to a Walden player, who lofted a header over everybody which fell into the net for an undeserved equaliser.

Then Kam Senior, who had a fine game, reacted after being brought down for the umpteenth time.

He was shown an red card - rough justice after the punishment he had received all game.

Ten-man Town re-organised and continued to play all the football with Walden continuing to be physical.

Walden now smelt victory and piled on the pressure but man-of-the-match Steve Crawshaw and Simon Jackson held firm.

Thetford thought they had scored a deserved winner when Jones headed home only to have the effort ruled out for an infringement.

Then at the death Greg Devlin broke away and with only the keeper to beat, and Skipp in support, opted to shoot but his effort was saved.

In the end, although a draw at Walden was a good result for a new side, they could have won and their inexperience told.