Thetford aim to bounce back
Thetford Town, after losing 2-1 to Yarmouth, host Fakenham this Friday (ko 7.45pm) in the league then on Tuesday they entertain Downham Town in the cup, 7.
Thetford Town, after losing 2-1 to Yarmouth, host Fakenham this Friday (ko 7.45pm) in the league then on Tuesday they entertain Downham Town in the cup, 7.45pm.
Thetford made the better start against Yarmouth, applying early pressure, and scored on 12 minutes, only to be ruled offside.
Yarmouth were restricted to few chances and Town, playing the better football, took the lead on 25 minutes when good build-up play found Bryant on the right, who crossed for Jones to knock down for Senior to fire past the keeper.
Town should have increased their lead on 39 minutes when Mann was put through, but he shot straight at the keeper.
You may also want to watch:
Then drama just before the break - Bryant had a header just wide and from the resulting attack, Yarmouth were awarded a penalty after Jackson was adjudged to have handled the ball from a point-blank shot. Roach duly stood up and hit the shot wide of the post.
The half ended with a Greg Devlin shot being tipped over by the Yarmouth keeper.
- 1 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 2 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 3 Potential for 30C today – but two days of thunderstorms on the way
- 4 Drugs most often seized by Norfolk police revealed
- 5 US servicemen commemorate death of RAF Lakenheath pilot in crash tragedy
- 6 Six figure commitment agreed to pursue Suffolk bus improvement strategy
- 7 Care home creates mini golf course in its garden
- 8 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 9 School praised for 'effective action' to address serious failings
- 10 Should Covid jabs be made mandatory for care home workers?
The second half saw a different Yarmouth and early pressure saw Town clear off the line twice before Yarmouth equalised on 51 minutes.
Yarmouth were then given another penalty when Bilham was adjudged to have committed a foul and was booked. Roach took the penalty, which was well saved by Bilham.
Town were on the back foot and a Brewer effort was all they could muster. Bilham was the busier keeper with two fine saves.
The game turned on 74 minutes when a Yarmouth forward ran through, with Bilham coming out and clearing the ball up-field, but the linesman flagged and after consulting with the referee, Bilham was sent off for apparently showing his studs, although the ball was up the other end of the field.
Jones went in goal and did well, but Yarmouth stole the points on 85 minutes when a shot from 18 yards was too strong for Jones, although he did get a hand to it.
Town applied late pressure with a succession of corners in the closing minutes, but to no avail. This was a disappointing result.
Thetford Reserves got back to winning ways with a 3-2 win over Felixstowe and Walton. Jason Conroy (2) and Chris Collins-Reed were the Town scorers.
This Saturday they travel to North Elmham in the Norfolk Junior Cup, 2pm kick-off.