Thetford AC youngsters do their club proud in big regional event
- Credit: Archant
Several of Thetford Athletics Club’s junior athletes recently swapped the red and white vest of their club for their county colours.
They were selected to run for their county teams at the South of England Inter-Counties Cross Country Championships held in Oxford.
The athletes certainly did their club and county proud with some fantastic performances against the best athletes in the South of England in what were extremely cold and icy conditions.
Abigail Clouston, representing Norfolk, took on the 3km course in the Under-13 girls race and came home in 28th position in a time of 11 minutes 58 seconds.
Next up, representing Suffolk, were brothers James and Ben Peck who were tackling the 3km Under-13 boys’ course.
You may also want to watch:
James finished in an outstanding fifth place with a time of 10:29, helping the Suffolk U13 boys team claim the gold medal in the team event. Ben came home in 72nd position in a time of 11:30.
Next up, representing Norfolk in the Under-15 girls’ race, was Jessica Norkett who took on the 4.5km course.
- 1 Mother's devastation after son killed in crash 'one minute from home'
- 2 A11 closure as lorries with huge loads get stuck at roadworks
- 3 Center Parcs to reopen on April 12 for self-catering guests only
- 4 Warm winds bring Saharan dust as temperatures soar to 17C
- 5 Man denies causing death by dangerous driving after fatal A143 crash
- 6 Dogs Trust releases phone calls of 'heartbroken' owners forced to give up pets
- 7 Norfolk given extra £10m to stop Covid spread in care homes
- 8 Pub to get major revamp - but needs a landlord first
- 9 Ambitious 2035 climate change fight plan unveiled
- 10 Norfolk discount store to take over former Poundstretcher building
Jess finished a highly respectable 36th place with a time of 15:41.
The final Thetford athlete to have the honour of representing Norfolk was Ben Garrod. He tackled the 4.5km U15 boys’ course, finishing in a creditable 93rd place with a time of 15:04 in what was his debut county race.
The third event in the Ryston Runners Grand Prix series held at Shouldham Warren was made even more interesting due to the wintry conditions.
In the Under-11 girls race Bethany Wilson stormed home in second place with a time of 9:11 whilst Callum Wing, in the Under-11 boys’ event, came eighth with a time of 9:44.
The seniors’ race was contested over a 6.5 km course with Gary Malliband finishing 10th in the men’s V45 category in a time of 30:50 and Tina Plumley finishing in second place in the women’s V45 category with a time 30:58.
The second event of the Suffolk Cross Country series took place in Woodbridge the previous week with Thetford Athletics Club’s seniors taking on a challenging five mile course.
Sabine Schaefer took the lead for Thetford with a time of 31:30, which was a personal best, with Cliff Bailey following behind in a time of 32:01 and Steve Dickens in 37:42.