Thetford AC youngsters do their club proud in big regional event
- Credit: Archant
Several of Thetford Athletics Club’s junior athletes recently swapped the red and white vest of their club for their county colours.
They were selected to run for their county teams at the South of England Inter-Counties Cross Country Championships held in Oxford.
The athletes certainly did their club and county proud with some fantastic performances against the best athletes in the South of England in what were extremely cold and icy conditions.
Abigail Clouston, representing Norfolk, took on the 3km course in the Under-13 girls race and came home in 28th position in a time of 11 minutes 58 seconds.
Next up, representing Suffolk, were brothers James and Ben Peck who were tackling the 3km Under-13 boys’ course.
James finished in an outstanding fifth place with a time of 10:29, helping the Suffolk U13 boys team claim the gold medal in the team event. Ben came home in 72nd position in a time of 11:30.
Next up, representing Norfolk in the Under-15 girls’ race, was Jessica Norkett who took on the 4.5km course.
- 1 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 2 Firefighters tackling large fire near country park
- 3 Shed left destroyed after garden fire in west Suffolk
- 4 20 fire engines and 90 firefighters contain large forest blaze
- 5 Drought declared in Norfolk
- 6 'Could have caused explosion': Eco-warrior stops Thetford fire spreading
- 7 Town to host free outdoor screening of Encanto with street food stalls
- 8 Revealed: Why wasps chase you and how to get rid of them this summer
- 9 Where will be the hottest place in Norfolk this weekend?
- 10 'Incredible' firefighters spend nearly 12 hours tackling forest blaze
Jess finished a highly respectable 36th place with a time of 15:41.
The final Thetford athlete to have the honour of representing Norfolk was Ben Garrod. He tackled the 4.5km U15 boys’ course, finishing in a creditable 93rd place with a time of 15:04 in what was his debut county race.
The third event in the Ryston Runners Grand Prix series held at Shouldham Warren was made even more interesting due to the wintry conditions.
In the Under-11 girls race Bethany Wilson stormed home in second place with a time of 9:11 whilst Callum Wing, in the Under-11 boys’ event, came eighth with a time of 9:44.
The seniors’ race was contested over a 6.5 km course with Gary Malliband finishing 10th in the men’s V45 category in a time of 30:50 and Tina Plumley finishing in second place in the women’s V45 category with a time 30:58.
The second event of the Suffolk Cross Country series took place in Woodbridge the previous week with Thetford Athletics Club’s seniors taking on a challenging five mile course.
Sabine Schaefer took the lead for Thetford with a time of 31:30, which was a personal best, with Cliff Bailey following behind in a time of 32:01 and Steve Dickens in 37:42.