Thetford AC runners impress in cross country events
- Credit: Archant
The picturesque backdrop of Framlingham Castle was the setting for the first of the Suffolk Winter League cross country series and it proved to be a good day for the Thetford athletes.
Thomas Norkett who was the sole club competitor in the U11 fun run, completing the 800m course in a time of 3.58, placing him 12th overall.
First home in the U15 boys’ race, tackling the 4km course, was Ben Garrod in third place with a time of 13.42. Tyler Howard followed in ninth spot, finishing in a respectable time of 14.44.
Completing the Thetford charge was Zak Mitchell who finished 16th in 16.40.
The only Thetford competitor in the U13 age group was Ewan Peck, who completed the course in 17.14, finishing in 15th position.
You may also want to watch:
The seniors’ race was contested over approximately a five-mile course divided up into two laps. First home was Louise White in a time of 39.13 for second in the women’s V40 category, followed by Cliff Bailey in 40.18 who was victorious in the men’s V55 category.
Also completing the course with respectable times were Sabine Schaefer (42.37), Tina Plumley (46.54), Steve DIckens (48.13), Wendy Howard (59.54) and Ann Kirton (60.04).
- 1 Hope and caution - How Thetford is preparing to come out of lockdown
- 2 'He cried, I cried' - Loved ones reunited through care home's pilot test scheme
- 3 Friends pay tribute to war heroes with walking marathon effort
- 4 Norfolk in Tier 2 of coronavirus restrictions, government confirms
- 5 Arrest after man found with wooden baton and £30,000 in cash
- 6 A1066 to close for five more nights
- 7 How will Christmas grottos, nativities and carol singing go ahead?
- 8 Man fractured partner’s cheekbone after making machete threat to sister
- 9 Start date for phase two of 5,000-home development, after land bought near A11
- 10 Dozens of new Covid marshals to become 'the eyes and ears of the districts'
Meanwhile Thetford athletes proved their good form at the recent Eastern Athletics Cross Country Championships at Nowton Park, Bury St Edmunds. U13 girl Abigail Clouston got the day off to flying start with a second place finish, tackling on the 3km course in 12.27 while Isabel Smythe finished in 18th position in 14.08. In the U13 boys’ race Thetford had a number of great performances, resulting in a third place team prize.
James Peck was the first Thetford athlete home finishing in silver medal position in 10.59, followed by Ben Peck in 11.55, placing him eighth. Next in 13th position with a time of 12.15 was Oliver Sanders who was followed by Ewan Peck, 32nd in 14.03. The sole Thetford athlete in the U15 girls’ race was Jessica Norkett who was sixth in 16.24. Ben Garrod was the first of the U15 boys home in 15.17, also placing him in sixth position. Tyler Howard came home 14th in 16.06 which rounded up a great day for the Thetford athletes.