Thetford 29 Wymondham 17 – Good start to new era
- Credit: Mark Westley Photography
Eastern Counties Under-18s coach Ben Scully took charge of Thetford for the first time, with a full strength side available to try and repeat the 17-13 win from earlier in the season.
An early try was conceded but it wasn’t long until flying full-back Josh Clark replied with five points, after Luke Boynes made a break in midfield and Clark slipped some tackles to dot down.
The set-piece was a good platform to work from for Thetford with props Roger Cash and Aaron Stokoe playing out of their skin in the scrum and the line-out performing well.
Wymondham hit back with a nice try which their fly-half converted but Thetford regathered as a team and worked their way into the half as Clark leaped into the air to gather Boynes’ restart to start an attack which saw the ball shipped wide to Zak Pizzey, who ran down the touchline and next to the posts to allow Matthew Briggs to kick the two points to make the score level.
Briggs went on to score a total of 13 points from his right boot.
After half-time Thetford stayed composed meaning Michael Stickland could score after a move from the training ground. This was when the game slowed down, after Briggs had turned possession into points.
Wymondham did get back into the game by scoring a brilliant try as their winger pulled out a good offload which couldn’t be stopped and they scored after Thetford’s magnificent defence had kept them out for a long period.
- 1 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 2 Train delays as lorry hits railway bridge
- 3 Crowdfunder for terminally ill mum to fulfil dream of marrying partner
- 4 Police search for owner of puppy lost near Mildenhall
- 5 Final consultation to be undertaken on future of Thetford Market Place
- 6 'She was the glue' - Family's loving tribute to devoted mum Netty
- 7 Concerns raised over plans for holiday cabins at equestrian centre
- 8 Rare chance to rent a 16th century farmhouse overlooking a Norfolk estate
- 9 Motorbike and car crash on A134 near Norfolk village
- 10 Five-year-old child struck by car in Brandon discharged from hospital
Thetford used their nous to keep the visitors from closing the gap, including Richie Brand putting his body on the line with a tremendous late tackle.
Scully’s side return to Greene King Eastern Counties Division One action at struggling Woodbridge on March 21.