Terrific scoring on Thetford Golf Club’s President’s Day
- Credit: Archant
There were some terrific scores for Anne McHarg’s President’s Day competition at Thetford Golf Club, with Dean Scott edging Rob Taylor on countback after both recorded a remarkable total of 48 points.
There was a shotgun start for a blue flag competition, with extra Stableford points available for choosing to play to the more difficult pin positions.
Rob Taylor took full advantage, picking up 22 points at the blue flag holes, but it was not quite enough as Dean Scott had 25 on the back nine, three more than Rob.
Nic Barnes also had a day to remember but his 47 was only good enough for third place.
The nearest-the-pin winner at the 16th was Mick Maskell.
You may also want to watch:
In the afternoon there was a mixed event and the winners were club captain Trevor Wignall and Kath Malvern with 34. They were one ahead of Rob Faulkner and Sheila Spreadborough with Robert and Sheena Setchell taking third place with 31, beating Dave Smith and Pauline O’Sullivan on countback.
Phil Beer (16th) and Sheena Setchell (third) took the nearest the pin prizes.
- 1 Best bargain ever? Village hall for sale for £35,000
- 2 Family's desperate plea to help find missing wartime medals
- 3 Couple caught at dawn dumping waste in forest
- 4 Indian variant Covid cases in Norfolk 'cause to be cautious'
- 5 Symptom-free Covid testing sites set to open in Thetford
- 6 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 7 Man suffers 15cm cut across face in alleged knife attack over drugs
- 8 Ofsted praise for ‘inadequate’ Norfolk special school
- 9 Concerns over divide in vaccine rates - what's the situation where you live?
- 10 'Let air in' - New campaign launched as lockdown measures eased
The Frank Salmon Bowl, which was first presented in 1934, was won by Simon Gorrod with 79-11-68. He finished one ahead of Paul Garnham (10 handicap) and Andy Vassallo (19).
Other scores: 76-6-70 Matt Harben, 81-11-70 Terry Stephenson, 84-13-72 Michael Gutherson, 82-11-72 Rob Johnson, 79-8-71 Nick Murgolo, 83-12-71 Terry Young, 77-6-71 Mike Horley, 90-19-71 Nolan Guthrie, 77-6-71 Matt Wabe, 82-10-72 Brian How, 81-9-72 John Ward, 86-14-72 Gerald Davey, 82-10-72 Doug Stephen, 83-11-72 Iain Hamshaw, 81-9-72 Dean Scott, 83-11-72 Stuart McGill, 78-6-72 Paul Pearce, 85-13-72 Graham Sloan, 90-18-72 Steve Steeds.
Malcolm Wright came out on top of a three-way tie on countback to win the Courage Seniors’ Cup. Three players came in with 41 and 21-handicapper Malcolm just got the better of 20-handicap Norman Hargreaves and 25-handicap Steve McIlroy.
Other scores: 37 Bob Pearson (14), Martin Eeles (10) and Robin Patrick (26); 36 John Baldwin (10); 35 Robert Setchell (4), Barry Brackenborough (10), Robert Baldwin (20) and Peter Yule (17); 34 John Summers (19) and Trevor Wignall (10).
For more on Thetford Golf Club go to www.thetfordgolfclub.co.uk