Terrific scoring on Thetford Golf Club’s President’s Day
- Credit: Archant
There were some terrific scores for Anne McHarg’s President’s Day competition at Thetford Golf Club, with Dean Scott edging Rob Taylor on countback after both recorded a remarkable total of 48 points.
There was a shotgun start for a blue flag competition, with extra Stableford points available for choosing to play to the more difficult pin positions.
Rob Taylor took full advantage, picking up 22 points at the blue flag holes, but it was not quite enough as Dean Scott had 25 on the back nine, three more than Rob.
Nic Barnes also had a day to remember but his 47 was only good enough for third place.
The nearest-the-pin winner at the 16th was Mick Maskell.
In the afternoon there was a mixed event and the winners were club captain Trevor Wignall and Kath Malvern with 34. They were one ahead of Rob Faulkner and Sheila Spreadborough with Robert and Sheena Setchell taking third place with 31, beating Dave Smith and Pauline O’Sullivan on countback.
Phil Beer (16th) and Sheena Setchell (third) took the nearest the pin prizes.
- 1 Norfolk zoo keeper abandoned as a baby reunited with mother in ITV show
- 2 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 3 Rugby club hoping to 'ignite' interest following pandemic
- 4 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
- 5 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 6 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 7 Man charged after robbing bookmakers with a knife in Suffolk town
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Man caught drink driving over three times the legal limit in Suffolk town
- 10 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
The Frank Salmon Bowl, which was first presented in 1934, was won by Simon Gorrod with 79-11-68. He finished one ahead of Paul Garnham (10 handicap) and Andy Vassallo (19).
Other scores: 76-6-70 Matt Harben, 81-11-70 Terry Stephenson, 84-13-72 Michael Gutherson, 82-11-72 Rob Johnson, 79-8-71 Nick Murgolo, 83-12-71 Terry Young, 77-6-71 Mike Horley, 90-19-71 Nolan Guthrie, 77-6-71 Matt Wabe, 82-10-72 Brian How, 81-9-72 John Ward, 86-14-72 Gerald Davey, 82-10-72 Doug Stephen, 83-11-72 Iain Hamshaw, 81-9-72 Dean Scott, 83-11-72 Stuart McGill, 78-6-72 Paul Pearce, 85-13-72 Graham Sloan, 90-18-72 Steve Steeds.
Malcolm Wright came out on top of a three-way tie on countback to win the Courage Seniors’ Cup. Three players came in with 41 and 21-handicapper Malcolm just got the better of 20-handicap Norman Hargreaves and 25-handicap Steve McIlroy.
Other scores: 37 Bob Pearson (14), Martin Eeles (10) and Robin Patrick (26); 36 John Baldwin (10); 35 Robert Setchell (4), Barry Brackenborough (10), Robert Baldwin (20) and Peter Yule (17); 34 John Summers (19) and Trevor Wignall (10).
For more on Thetford Golf Club go to www.thetfordgolfclub.co.uk