Tailender’s fine innings condemns Thetford CC to defeat
- Credit: Archant
Thetford looked to return to winning ways against promotion rivals Bradfield on Saturday - but from the very start their lack of batting prowess meant they fell short again.
After being bowled out for 183 they saw their visitors limp over the line in the Norfolk Alliance Division One encounter after an unbeaten 32 from number 10 batsman Michael Seago.
Thetford got off to a slow start after Liam Conroy (3) failed again. Usmaan Iqbal and Ryan Conroy started to form a partnership but that was short-lived after the latter was adjudged lbw when on 19.
Muhammed Javaid joined Iqbal and they moved the score towards 75 before Iqbal (20) also fell. That continued to be the story of Thetford’s innings, with far too many batsmen getting starts and not pushing on.
Javaid and Tristan Caley put on 50 for the six wicket before Caley (21) and Javaid (32) fell in quick sucession. With Thetford looking 50-70 behind the required score, Greg Mann struck a run-a-ball 35 which was ably supported by Joe Hills (4) which allowed Thetford to have something to bowl at.
You may also want to watch:
Thetford’s ever reliable bowling unit caused Bradfield all sorts of problems, Lews Greyson (10-2-29-1) and Hills (10-1-32-3) sharing four wickets.
Liam Conroy (10-1-40-3) and Craig Baulch (5-0-21-0) thought the game was won when Javaid run out Peter Murphy for 30. But some brilliant hitting from Seago got Bradfield home in the 48th over.
- 1 Man charged with supplying Class A drugs in Thetford
- 2 Schools in Norfolk closed or partially shut due to coronavirus
- 3 Viking themed children's play area confirmed at town's historic park
- 4 Illegal puppy farm warning as one in ten plan to buy dog for Christmas
- 5 'Disgusting' - councillor slams culprits for defecating on footpaths and in front gardens
- 6 Shoppers support market town traders as second lockdown lifts
- 7 Stephen Fry voices heart-warming animation of rescued blind horse
- 8 Dozens of new Covid marshals to become 'the eyes and ears of the districts'
- 9 Arrest after man found with wooden baton and £30,000 in cash
- 10 Fresh calls for Norfolk to move to tier one ahead of key Commons vote
Thetford A lost to Diss A by six wicketsd in their Division Six clash on Saturday after being restricted to 177-8.
Thetford won the toss and batted first but found runs hard to come by in the first half of their innings.Man-of-the-match A Peek (30), M Wabe (24no) and N Coleman (11no) managed to up the run rate towards the end and get Thetford to 177.
Some excellent controlled bowling by D Phelps (2-16 off nine overs) kept Thetford in the game for a while but Diss chased down the total with four overs remaining, skipper Gregory (53no) and L Taylor (54) doing most of the damage.
Thetford, now fifth in the table after losing their last two games, travel to Halvergate to take on Vauxhall Mallards A on Saturday while the second team, who are third in Division Six, are at home to Topcroft A.
Both matches get under way at 1pm.