Tailender’s fine innings condemns Thetford CC to defeat
- Credit: Archant
Thetford looked to return to winning ways against promotion rivals Bradfield on Saturday - but from the very start their lack of batting prowess meant they fell short again.
After being bowled out for 183 they saw their visitors limp over the line in the Norfolk Alliance Division One encounter after an unbeaten 32 from number 10 batsman Michael Seago.
Thetford got off to a slow start after Liam Conroy (3) failed again. Usmaan Iqbal and Ryan Conroy started to form a partnership but that was short-lived after the latter was adjudged lbw when on 19.
Muhammed Javaid joined Iqbal and they moved the score towards 75 before Iqbal (20) also fell. That continued to be the story of Thetford’s innings, with far too many batsmen getting starts and not pushing on.
Javaid and Tristan Caley put on 50 for the six wicket before Caley (21) and Javaid (32) fell in quick sucession. With Thetford looking 50-70 behind the required score, Greg Mann struck a run-a-ball 35 which was ably supported by Joe Hills (4) which allowed Thetford to have something to bowl at.
Thetford’s ever reliable bowling unit caused Bradfield all sorts of problems, Lews Greyson (10-2-29-1) and Hills (10-1-32-3) sharing four wickets.
Liam Conroy (10-1-40-3) and Craig Baulch (5-0-21-0) thought the game was won when Javaid run out Peter Murphy for 30. But some brilliant hitting from Seago got Bradfield home in the 48th over.
- 1 Train delays as lorry hits railway bridge
- 2 Police search for owner of puppy lost near Mildenhall
- 3 Crowdfunder for terminally ill mum to fulfil dream of marrying partner
- 4 Concerns raised over plans for holiday cabins at equestrian centre
- 5 Final consultation to be undertaken on future of Thetford Market Place
- 6 'She was the glue' - Family's loving tribute to devoted mum Netty
- 7 Rare chance to rent a 16th century farmhouse overlooking a Norfolk estate
- 8 Five-year-old child struck by car in Brandon discharged from hospital
- 9 Motorbike and car crash on A134 near Norfolk village
- 10 Catalytic converters stolen from three cars in Mildenhall in one night
Thetford A lost to Diss A by six wicketsd in their Division Six clash on Saturday after being restricted to 177-8.
Thetford won the toss and batted first but found runs hard to come by in the first half of their innings.Man-of-the-match A Peek (30), M Wabe (24no) and N Coleman (11no) managed to up the run rate towards the end and get Thetford to 177.
Some excellent controlled bowling by D Phelps (2-16 off nine overs) kept Thetford in the game for a while but Diss chased down the total with four overs remaining, skipper Gregory (53no) and L Taylor (54) doing most of the damage.
Thetford, now fifth in the table after losing their last two games, travel to Halvergate to take on Vauxhall Mallards A on Saturday while the second team, who are third in Division Six, are at home to Topcroft A.
Both matches get under way at 1pm.