Important wins for Swaffham Town and Thetford Town
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham Town made progress in the FA Vase before picking up a useful point on the road in their latest Thurlow Nunn League Division One fixture.
The Pedlars saw off Framlingham Town 2-1 in a Vase replay in midweek to earn a place in the first round proper of the natioanl competition.
The visitors took the lead in the 33rd minute, with Swaffham getting back on level terms just after the break. A Nick Castellan free-kick to the back post found Joe Jackson who headed across goal into the top right hand corner.
The winner came a minute into added time, the keeper fumbling the ball and Alex Vincent being on hand to thump home.
The Pedlars now travel to Haverhill Borough on Saturday, October 13.
On Saturday the Pedlars returned to league action and picked up a well earned 1-1 draw at Diss Town.
The home side took the lead with a fortunate blocked clearance that found its way into the back of the net.
- 1 Part of A134 closed after crash between lorry and car
- 2 Woman breaks down in tears as she denies making up sex assaults
- 3 Forest ride in memory of 'lively character' and popular mountain biker
- 4 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 5 Weather warning issued as wintry showers expected to cause icy conditions
- 6 Manchester City owner eyes Norfolk horse racing enterprise
- 7 Huge farm network is helping rare Brecks wildlife in field margins
- 8 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 9 Decision delayed on changes at South Norfolk equestrian centre
- 10 'Don’t try and book until the NHS says it is your turn' — PM on booster rollout
Cameron Lee equalised on the stroke of half-time when another Castellan free-kick was poorly headed clear, hitting through the ball across goal into the right hand corner.
Swaffham were the better team in the second half but the elusive winner never arrived. It was a good away performance bearing in mind the number of players out or unavailable.
On Saturday AFC Sudbury Reserves are the visitors to the Lane.
Swaffham Town Reserves beat Acle United Reserves 6-1 in their latest Anglian Combination fixture with two goals apiece for Danny Nichols, Liam Forshaw and Korben Willis. On Saturday they are away to Hemsby.
The Under-18s picked up three points at Fakenham Town, Thomas Wagg notching up another two goals. The young Pedlars travel to Mulbarton Wanderers this coming Thursday.
The Veterans started their campaign and were unfortunate to not come away with anything in their 1-0 defeat to Necton.
Thetford Town put four successive defeats, all of them comprehensive ones, behind them last Friday evening when they won 2-1 at Ely City.
Jon Carver and Volta Rocha got the goals that lifted Town up to 10th in the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division table ahead of Saturday’s home match against Hadleigh United (3pm).