Swaffham see off Thetford to win Carter NACO Shield
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham secured victory in the Carter NACO Shield final at Dereham after beating Thetford in a keenly-fought contest by 45 runs.
Swaffham, from Norfolk Alliance Division Two, won the toss and decided to bat first against their Division One opponents.
They made a steady start to their innings, built around a solid knock of 66 from opener Jasper Payne. It was when he was joined by Alex Vincent that the momentum began to pick up as they added 44 for the fourth wicket.
After Payne’s dismissal Vincent took up the mantle and saw the innings through to its conclusion, hitting 77 in jut 69 balls including two sixes, as Swaffham reached 210-9 in their 40 overs.
For a long while Thetford contained Swaffham’s batsmen well, with Craig Baulch being the standout bowler with figures of 4-42.
Unfortunately their cause was not helped by some dropped catches, with Vincent riding his luck on more than one occasion.
Thetford made a steady reply, with Liam Conroy providing the backbone. They had reached 53-2 when he was joined by his brother Ryan and they began to take the battle to Swaffham and looked to be building a match winning partnership against a side from the division below them.
- 1 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 2 Homes with dedicated support for rough sleepers to be built in Thetford
- 3 Jess Glynne cancels summer show in Thetford Forest
- 4 Pair deny dangerous driving on the A11 in Suffolk
- 5 Council leader refuses to condemn Downing Street parties
- 6 Rescued Mariah and Carey recovering after A11 crash
- 7 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 8 How are England's Covid restrictions changing after Plan B?
- 9 These are the dog breeds given up most at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 10 Driver sustains neck injuries in two-vehicle crash near Thetford
However, after compiling a stand of 80 Ryan was dismissed on 49 with the score on 133-3.
The rest of the Thetford batting then struggled to master the Swaffham bowlers who took control, with Vincent turning in an excellent all-round performance by taking 5-25 in 6.1 overs, ably supported by captain Mark Eagle who took 3-36.
Fittingly it was Vincent who took the last wicket as Thetford were dismissed for 165.
Adjudicator Barry Battelley had no hesitation in awarding Vincent the man of the match ward for his contributions with bat and ball.
The Carter NACO Shield was presented to Swaffham captain Mark Eagle by Joe Marczewski, the chairman of Dereham Cricket Club.
Swaffham are in Norfolk Alliance action at home to Great Witchingham A on Saturday while Thetford hosts Vauxhall Mallards’ second team. Both games get under way at 12.30pm.