Swaffham rugby coach gains qualification
Swaffham Rugby Club’s first team coach John Blenkharn has become among the first men in the region to achieve the newly formatted RFU level 2 coaching qualification.
‘John The Coach’, as he is known at the club, joined Swaffham last season and coaches both senior teams together with Ian Milligan, who holds the same qualification in the previous format.
Blenkarn was responsible for setting the style and structure which the senior teams are now playing with and was instrumental in master-minding the Norfolk Junior Cup final win at the end of last season.
This is the first time in a number of seasons that the club has non-playing senior coaches for both teams and the focus this allows seems to be working well.
The style of play, ideas and coaching are being shared throughout the club with coaches from all of the youth age groups attending the first pre-season training session for the senior squads last Tuesday.
You may also want to watch:
The club is keen to ensure that coach development is a critical part of the on-going development of all they do and will be working closely with the RFU support in the region to ensure this continues in the coming season.
The first coach development session booked relates to the major changes to the U7 to U9 age groups, which take effect from September 2012. A ‘New Rules of Play’ briefing will be held at the club in North Pickenham Road on Friday, July 20 at 7pm. All coaches, players and parents of players are welcome to attend along with representatives of other clubs.
- 1 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 'Vital' washing and cooking facilities to help homeless opens in town
- 4 Norfolk and Suffolk election 2021: No change in Breckland
- 5 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 7 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 8 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 9 Town planning for future of theatre and swimming pool at historic convent
- 10 Mini science centre to feature at town's riverside development
The briefing is free to attend – to book a place contact Ian Milligan on firstname.lastname@example.org