Swaffham rugby coach gains qualification
Swaffham Rugby Club’s first team coach John Blenkharn has become among the first men in the region to achieve the newly formatted RFU level 2 coaching qualification.
‘John The Coach’, as he is known at the club, joined Swaffham last season and coaches both senior teams together with Ian Milligan, who holds the same qualification in the previous format.
Blenkarn was responsible for setting the style and structure which the senior teams are now playing with and was instrumental in master-minding the Norfolk Junior Cup final win at the end of last season.
This is the first time in a number of seasons that the club has non-playing senior coaches for both teams and the focus this allows seems to be working well.
The style of play, ideas and coaching are being shared throughout the club with coaches from all of the youth age groups attending the first pre-season training session for the senior squads last Tuesday.
The club is keen to ensure that coach development is a critical part of the on-going development of all they do and will be working closely with the RFU support in the region to ensure this continues in the coming season.
The first coach development session booked relates to the major changes to the U7 to U9 age groups, which take effect from September 2012. A ‘New Rules of Play’ briefing will be held at the club in North Pickenham Road on Friday, July 20 at 7pm. All coaches, players and parents of players are welcome to attend along with representatives of other clubs.
- 1 Woman in 60s taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 2 Two people taken to hospital after van rolls over in Lynford crash
- 3 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 4 Tesco supermarket in Brandon reopens after cash machines ram raid
- 5 What the average UK house price can buy you in Norfolk's towns
- 6 Cash machines stolen in ram raid at Tesco in Brandon
- 7 Revealed: No one has paid £10,000 fines issued for breaking Covid rules
- 8 Ever fancied being a real life CSI? Now's your chance!
- 9 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 10 Noise warning issued due to increased flying over RAF Lakenheath
The briefing is free to attend – to book a place contact Ian Milligan on email@example.com