Swaffham prepare for FA Cup test as Thetford win again
- Credit: Archant
After a weekend off Swaffham Town return to action on Saturday when they travel to Bedford Town in the preliminary round of the FA Cup.
Still buzzing after a 3-1 home win over Rothwell Corinthians in a game sponsored by the town’s Conservative Club, the Pedlars will be hoping to make further progress in the competition at the expense of the Evostik League South East side.
A coach will be leaving town at approximately 12 noon and there are a few spaces available at £5 a seat, with an admission charge of £9 at Bedford. Any interested parties should contact secretary Ray Ewart on 07990 526744.
Thetford Town made it two wins in three Thurlow Nunn Premier Division games on Saturday when they won 2-0 at Long Melford.
After a goalless first half two goals early in the second period from Max Melanson and Ross Bailey settled the issue.
You may also want to watch:
The Brecklanders hit the road again on Saturday to take on FC Clacton, who have only won one of their opening four games.
Town then host Kirkley and Pakefield next Tuesday evening (7.45pm).
- 1 Wanted man identified after Thetford shop burglary
- 2 Brandon bungalow blaze thought to be started by faulty boiler
- 3 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 4 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 5 Man due in court in connection with Norfolk stab attack
- 6 Bryan Cranston to Meghan Markle - how USO show brings stars to our region
- 7 Work starts on new £4.2m housing project in Norfolk village
- 8 Sex abuse survivor hits out at attacker's sentence
- 9 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 10 Two men arrested on suspicion of money laundering in Thetford
Swaffham Reserves continued their preparations for the start of their league campaign, with visitors Bradenham taking the bragging rights with a 4-0 win, despite the Pedlars playing the better football. The Reserves visit Hempnall on Saturday.
The Under-18s won their first league fixture 7-1 against local rivals Fakenham Town following an excellent performance, Cameron Lee, Korben Willis, Tommy Hunt, Kieran Bruce, Aaron Smith, Jake Slender and Harvey Neil were the scorers.
Meanwhile the Will Smart annual charity match takes place on Sunday, August 27 at the Watton Sports Centre, Dereham Road between Watton United and Saham Toney (2pm).
There will be a bar, raffle, barbecue, hog roast, ice creams and children’s bouncy castle plus an auction of football, boxing and celebrity memorabilia. Making appearances will be former Norwich City players Robert Fleck, Darren Huckerby and Mike Milligan.
The fun continues afterwards at the Willow House (free entry) where Skasouls will entertain from 6pm.
Proceeds from the event will go to Cancer Research UK and East Anglia Children’s Hospice.
For further information contact Gordon Pitcher on 07909 544580.