Swaffham prepare for FA Cup test as Thetford win again
- Credit: Archant
After a weekend off Swaffham Town return to action on Saturday when they travel to Bedford Town in the preliminary round of the FA Cup.
Still buzzing after a 3-1 home win over Rothwell Corinthians in a game sponsored by the town’s Conservative Club, the Pedlars will be hoping to make further progress in the competition at the expense of the Evostik League South East side.
A coach will be leaving town at approximately 12 noon and there are a few spaces available at £5 a seat, with an admission charge of £9 at Bedford. Any interested parties should contact secretary Ray Ewart on 07990 526744.
Thetford Town made it two wins in three Thurlow Nunn Premier Division games on Saturday when they won 2-0 at Long Melford.
After a goalless first half two goals early in the second period from Max Melanson and Ross Bailey settled the issue.
You may also want to watch:
The Brecklanders hit the road again on Saturday to take on FC Clacton, who have only won one of their opening four games.
Town then host Kirkley and Pakefield next Tuesday evening (7.45pm).
- 1 Tributes flood in for Dad's Army superfan and family man Neville
- 2 Build of new school building could see more places for SEND children
- 3 Drug-driver's pickup cannoned off-duty detective's car into oncoming traffic
- 4 UEA expert in infectious diseases expects delay to 'Freedom Day'
- 5 Drunk inmate threatened to stab prison officer
- 6 Road reopens after crash between car and lorry
- 7 New date for trial of five accused of Thetford murder
- 8 New transporter bike for wheelchair users launched at Thetford Forest
- 9 Task force to assess future developments of West Suffolk's markets
- 10 Man, 18, arrested in connection with serious sexual assault
Swaffham Reserves continued their preparations for the start of their league campaign, with visitors Bradenham taking the bragging rights with a 4-0 win, despite the Pedlars playing the better football. The Reserves visit Hempnall on Saturday.
The Under-18s won their first league fixture 7-1 against local rivals Fakenham Town following an excellent performance, Cameron Lee, Korben Willis, Tommy Hunt, Kieran Bruce, Aaron Smith, Jake Slender and Harvey Neil were the scorers.
Meanwhile the Will Smart annual charity match takes place on Sunday, August 27 at the Watton Sports Centre, Dereham Road between Watton United and Saham Toney (2pm).
There will be a bar, raffle, barbecue, hog roast, ice creams and children’s bouncy castle plus an auction of football, boxing and celebrity memorabilia. Making appearances will be former Norwich City players Robert Fleck, Darren Huckerby and Mike Milligan.
The fun continues afterwards at the Willow House (free entry) where Skasouls will entertain from 6pm.
Proceeds from the event will go to Cancer Research UK and East Anglia Children’s Hospice.
For further information contact Gordon Pitcher on 07909 544580.