Swaffham inflict derby agony on Thetford

Thetford 7, Swaffham 63

SWAFFHAM spectacularly took the derby honours with a superb team display at Two Mile Bottom.

The runaway Eastern Counties Division Two leaders entered the game on the back of a seven game winning streak in the league and cup but fully expected their neighbours – who finished above them last season – to provide a tough of their progression.

They couldn’t have hoped for their most emphatic victory of the season, which leaves them seven points clear of Broadland at the top of the table.

Swaffham took the initiative straight away when John Chamberlain stretched over in the corner to score the first points of the game. A second score nearly followed straight from the restart when Matt Smith made a break only for a good tackle from the full-back to stop a certain try.

However, Swaffham soon regained possession and Daniel Spencer put Dean Keats in for the try.

Despite strong opposition at the breakdown area and set pieces, Thetford were unable to contain Swaffham’s fluidity in attack.

Most Read

When Swaffham were awarded a free-kick close to the Thetford line, some quick thinking from Daniel Bird put Matt Smith in under the posts. The bonus point was secured after just 24 minutes when another line break from Matt Smith allowed Daniel Barnard to power over.

And as half-time approached they added two more tries from Tommy Windibank and Ryan Bigland to turn round 34-0 in front.

Thetford scored the first points of the second period with a try following a kick through from the fly half. But Swaffham were not going to let the momentum of the game shift and scored again within two minutes when a good pass from Joe Milligan put Keats in to the corner for his second of the game.

Bigland then scored his second after some excellent phases opened up the space in the left corner and Joe Milligan put Windbank in for another try. The forwards then got in on the ac as a strong run and offload from Chamberlain put Paddy Callaby over. The final points were scored when Chamberlain powered through again for his second try.