Super Mann spurs Thetford on
Downham Town 0 Thetford Town 3
IN-FORM Thetford Town maintained hopes of a late promotion push with a comfortable Ridgeons League Divison One win over lowly Downham which could have been even more convincing.
Thetford took the lead within two minutes, good work by Blake saw his shot parried out by the keeper, but Mann followed up to score.
Town put pressure on the Downham defence and Blake went close before Town increased their lead on eight minutes when good work from Bailey saw his pass headed on by Mann to Blake who made no mistake from the edge of the box.
Mann had a further chance but was well saved by the keeper.
You may also want to watch:
Downham’s first attempt on the town goal came on 18 minutes but Fancett had no real problems.
Town should have got a third when Howard beat the offside trap only to see his chip saved by the keeper.
- 1 Have your say over future of growing estate
- 2 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 3 'It's killing me': Abuse victim moved into flat with asbestos and mould
- 4 Car crashes into central reservation on A11
- 5 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 6 Where you are most likely to get your bike stolen in Norfolk
- 7 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 8 Abusive man grabbed wife by throat and banged her head on floor
- 9 Parkruns return to Norfolk for first time since Covid
- 10 Pet crematorium plans submitted but residents have air concerns
Downham were reduced to 10 men on 35 minutes when the defender received a second yellow. Jones had an effort over the bar just before the break.
Blake had an early effort saved in the second half, but Town in total control tended to over pass instead of the cut and trust that has been a improved part of their game.
Town had a fright when Howard headed against his own post but was cleared. Skipp came on and had an effort from a free kick just over the bar.
Blake always looking dangerous got his second of the game just before the end when he received a ball from Jones and run on to blast past the keeper.
Thetford Town: Fancett, Joseph, Richards, Carter, Bailey, Jones, Howard, Clayton (Skipp), Bolton, Mann, Blake.
Town manager Mark Scott felt his team could have won by a bigger margin.
“We were very creative first half and should have gone in four or five up,” said Scott.
Downham were reduced to 10 men by a sending-off just before half-time, forcing them to defend second half and rely on counter-attacks.
Scott felt his side lacked their creativity of the first period, the third goal coming from Blake, a solo effort in which he cut in from the left and scored from 18 yards.
Town travel to Godmanchester Rovers on Saturday (kick-off 3pm).
The Under-18’s entertain Diss Town on Monday, March 28 (kick-off 7.45pm).