Super Cooper roars to title
ONE of the oldest titles in oval racing was contested at Yarmouth Stadium recently with Thetford's Jason Cooper taking the chequered flag.The superstox British championship fielded a good grid of cars with Felsham's Garry Sparkes on pole with Colin Aylward alongside.
ONE of the oldest titles in oval racing was contested at Yarmouth Stadium recently with Thetford's Jason Cooper taking the chequered flag.
The superstox British championship fielded a good grid of cars with Felsham's Garry Sparkes on pole with Colin Aylward alongside.
Yarmouth's Mark Smith drew grid position 25 to put him at the very back of the field.
Aylward got the drop on Sparkes when the green flag dropped but Sparkes had regained the lead on the very next lap.
You may also want to watch:
Cooper and world champion Shaun Brooker, from Norwich, also forced a way past Aylward when the race was brought under caution to allow the stranded Duncan Adams' car to be removed from the track after a large crash.
Sparkes' lead was cut back as the cars re-grouped while Mark Smith was going very well.
- 1 Wanted man identified after Thetford shop burglary
- 2 Brandon bungalow blaze thought to be started by faulty boiler
- 3 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 4 Man due in court in connection with Norfolk stab attack
- 5 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 6 Work starts on new £4.2m housing project in Norfolk village
- 7 Bryan Cranston to Meghan Markle - how USO show brings stars to our region
- 8 US Air Force issues warning over increased flying this week
- 9 Sex abuse survivor hits out at attacker's sentence
- 10 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
Cooper passed Sparkes shortly after the re-start while two big favourites for the title Brooker and Harleston's Steven Jackson crashed out together.
Another stoppage was called when Woodbridge's Alex Meadows crashed and drove over the top of Ayward.
Smith had now worked his way up to fourth place but with only a few laps remaining that was the best he could manage, Cooper taking the chequered flag ahead of Sparkes and Yarmouth's Pip Williams.
The final event for the superstox was for the Eddie Freeman Memorial Trophy. Eddie raced for many years and was always a popular driver. Once again it was a very exciting race which was won by Steven Jackson with Ipswich's Michael Walmsley the runner-up.