Striker Blake set to leave Thetford Town to join Ridgeons Premier Division Wroxham
Striker Matt Blake was last night poised to leave Thetford Town after agreeing a deal to join Ridgeons Premier Division Wroxham.
Blake, 23, attracted attention across the non-league ladder by scoring 16 goals in 22 Ridgeons Division One appearances last season.
The powerful and pacy forward has netted 12 times this campaign for the Brecklanders but boss Mark Scott insisted Blake was leaving with his blessing.
The Thetford manager said: “It’s pretty much a done deal now and although I’d have Matt back if it doesn’t work out I haven’t stood in his way.
“He’s a good character to have around but things haven’t been right for a while. He’s not been comfortable and he’s been off his game a bit this season. This is a test for him, stepping up a level for a good team like Wroxham, and I wish him all the best.
“I don’t want to lose him as he is a great player on his day but I’d rather him go and play for David Batch than go just anywhere because Batch is a good coach. “It’s a good chance for Matt and it won’t do me any harm. We have a good relationship with Wroxham and maybe if we need it we can get someone from there in on loan later in the season.”
League paperwork is being finalised but Blake appears to be set on a move to title-challenging Wroxham after he said on Twitter, “time to score some goals in the Ridgeons Prem”.
- 1 Thetford pupil Oxford-bound after hat-trick of A* grades
- 2 Council’s wildlife camera stolen from conservation area
- 3 A-levels 2022: All the results from Norfolk and Waveney
- 4 West Norfolk village pub to reopen as bed and breakfast after sale
- 5 How a new Norfolk forest helped heal the nation's timber industry
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 'Help yourself' - farmer gives away tonnes of onions damaged by heatwave
- 8 Truss claims UK workers need 'more graft' in leaked statement
- 9 Parish council weighs in on row over 'rollercoaster' racking
- 10 Norfolk Restaurant Week returning for 2022 with discounts across county
Freezing conditions put paid to Thetford’s First Division Knockout Cup Quarter Final against March Town United on Saturday and their league game with Cambridge University Press on Tuesday.
Scott’s side are scheduled to travel to Brightlingsea Regent on Saturday in the league before facing March in their rearranged cup clash at Munford Road on Tuesday (7.45pm).
Scott said: “The March game is on Valentine’s Day now which is a bit difficult.
“Straight away some lads said ‘great that will save me a few quid’ and others admitted it’s put them in a really difficult position. They’re all good lads but they’re not on �50,000 a week so it’s going to be tricky.
“One or two of them won’t be available because they’ve already made plans but I know they’ll all do their very best to make it.”
Bruno Tavarez and Volta Rocha are unavailable at the weekend while Dave Richards is suspended for both games.
• Thetford’s reserve team travel to Debenham LC on Saturday. Their league game at the weekend, against Whitton United, was also postponed.