Sabine does Thetford AC proud in Beachy Head race
- Credit: Archant
Thetford AC athletes have been out in force, taking part in several events around the country, ranging from 10km in Suffolk, 10 miles in Cambridgeshire and a marathon in East Sussex.
Over in East Sussex Sabine Schaefer took part in the Beachy Head marathon on Saturday.
It took place down at Eastbourne and with 1,500 runners in its 21st year it was a massive event which involved over 300 steps and 3,500ft of elevation including the Seven Sisters hills on the coastline.
It was a gruelling but beautiful course which generally takes runners 45 minutes to an hour longer than a normal flat road marathon.
Sabine completed the course in 4:19 and finished 30th female out of 869.
You may also want to watch:
In Cambridgeshire the attraction was a race known as Fenland 10. The event takes part in West Walton and consists of a fast flat 10-mile winding route through the local villages.
This year’s race saw 310 runners looking to get a personal best and amongst them were five of Thetford AC’s athletes who all achieved a that goal.
- 1 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 2 Emotional great grandma meets nine-month-old twins for first time
- 3 'Vital' washing and cooking facilities to help homeless opens in town
- 4 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 5 Norfolk and Suffolk election 2021: No change in Breckland
- 6 Family to open cafe named for 'cheeky' twins who fought rare disease
- 7 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 8 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 9 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 10 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
First home for Thetford was Karl Wright, finishing in a personal best time of 01:07.22 to achieve 15th place in the men’s senior category.
Following closely behind was Louise White who claimed victory in the women’s V40 category with a time of 01:10.48.
Lukasz Ryzinski, who was competing for the first time in a 10-mile race, finished in 23rd place in the men’s senior category with a time of 01:12.59. Stephanie Clouston finished seventh in the women’s V45 category with a time of 01:23.02 and Liz Saxton claimed 16th place in the women’s senior category with a time of 01:31.40. All three times were personal bests.
In Suffolk the Bury St Edmunds Running Festival hosted by HaverSports included a 10km race, a half marathon and a full marathon. Representing the club in the 10km event was Stacey Daniel Owen who finished fifth in the women’s V30 category with a time of 46.29, Jason Elrick finished 12th place for the men’s V40 category with a time of 40.30.
Also representing the club in the half marathon was Natalie King who finished 14th in the women’s V40 category with a time of 1:56. Running the full marathon distance was Luvuyo Mfazew, who finished 15th in the men’s V30 category with a time of 6:11.