Round-up of Brecks bowls action
BOWLS: The Brecks IBC Ladies, playing at home to rivals Dereham, turned in a poor performance to go down by 48-59 (1-7).
Scores: Margaret Robinson, Thelma Scott, Val Gibson, lost 7-21; Joyce Doubleday, Anne Melton, Pat Struthers lost 11-17; Marina Hollowood, Jan Barnes, Madge Marsden lost 10-13; Pauline Wright, Pam Lacey, Rosie Smith won 20-8.
The game against Hunstanton was better, as they managed to pick up two points, but lost 41-63 (2-5).
Scores: Pauline Wright, Kath Farthing, Rosie Smith lost 5-25; Jan Barnes, Pam Lacey, Madge Marsden won 17-4; Margaret Robinson, Anne Melton, Pat Struthers lost 5-27; June Shepherd,Marina Hollowood, Val Gibson won 14-7.
In a very tight match against league leaders Pinewood, Brecks came out on top to gain six points 42-40 (6-2). Scores: Joyce Doubleday, Kath Farthing, Pat Struthers lost 6-11; Marina Hollowood, Jan Barnes, Madge Marsden lost 9-13; Pauline Wright, Pam Lacey, Val Gibson won 11-10; Lily Cooper, Thelma Scott,June Shepherd won 16-6. This was the ladies’ last league game of the season and they finished in a respectable 5th place. Well done girls!
The Brecks men’s A team’s tale of woe continued when they entertained Acle B and lost 67-85 (1-6).
Scores: Mick Rutter, Eric Melton, John Gardner, Malcolm Struthers lost 13-23; George Farthing, Terry Lamb, David Kay, Walter Pattee won 23 20; Brian Mosby, Trevor Bingham, Alf Smith, David Betts lost 14-21; Pat Ainger, Dick Beattie, Alan Byford, Peter Scott lost 17-21.
- 1 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 2 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
- 3 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 4 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 5 Man charged after robbing bookmakers with a knife in Suffolk town
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Man caught drink driving over three times the legal limit in Suffolk town
- 8 Share of £120,000 cash pot on offer to Breckland groups
- 9 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 10 Former military man appointed as council's new chairman
The Brecks B team played Wymondham C and lost on all rinks to lose 55-84 (0-7).
Scores: Bill Brewer, Bill Smith, Bill Boast, Nolan Newbury lost 6-23; Karel Mikulik, Bob Sales, John Anderson, Mike Holbrook lost 17-23; Les Friend, Ron Cooper, John Washbrook, Graham Bradshaw lost 17-19, Simon Ferney, Ray Key, John Routledge, Steve Davey lost 15-19.