Promotion secured by Thetford Town CC – but title celebrations are on ice
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
Title celebrations are on ice for Thetford Town CC – with their fate now out of their hands – but promotion has already been secured.
Winning with five wickets to spare at morning leaders Norwich A propelled Thetford to the top of the Division Two table in the Dipple & Conway Opticians Norfolk Alliance.
The visitors were bowled out for just 114 at Mundford Road on Saturday, before the hosts reached 117 for five to claim 21 league points.
That dropped Norwich A out of the top two altogether after Hethersett and Tas Valley beat bottom-of-the-table Great Melton by 106 runs in their final fixture to move up to second position.
However, Norwich still have one game to play – at home to Saham Toney on Saturday – and need three points from it to ensure a top-two finish and at least 10 points to snatch the title from Thetford.
It will make for nervous watching for Thetford but skipper Liam Conroy is thrilled with how the season has finished, using his @LiamConroy77 Twitter account to say: “Huge congrats to everyone involved at Thetford CC!!! In Div One next season!!!! Absolutely over the moon.”
Thetford will then have the chance to secure further success on Sunday when they face Hethersett & Tas Valley in the final of the Bob Carter NACO Shield.
- 1 Try roasties topped with pulled pork at town’s new street food business
- 2 Pair accused of dangerous driving on A11 set for court
- 3 First cases of monkeypox reported in Suffolk
- 4 Chase Star to perform at Thetford comedy club
- 5 Woman in her 50s who died in A11 crash named locally
- 6 Food review, Lime Kiln Kitchen: ‘A truly relaxing place for Sunday lunch’
- 7 New homes plan for former coal yard
- 8 Man charged with burglaries, dangerous driving and assault
- 9 New Latin American restaurant opening at Center Parcs in Elveden
- 10 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and two meteor showers
The match was due to be played at Fakenham CC on Sunday but was postponed because of the weather. It is now scheduled to be played at Halvergate, the home of Vauxhall Mallards, at midday this Sunday.
The winner of the 40-over competition will be invited into next season’s Lady Mary Trophy.
Thetford A finished their Division Six season in fifth place after losing their final match of the season by 118 runs at Dereham A.
The hosts scored 228-9, with Gavin Siriwardena taking 4-26, before Thetford were bowled out for 110.