Personal bests in vests
THETFORD athletes turned out in force recently to compete in the City of Norwich Half-Marathon and 5k race. On an overcast and cold day the Thetford runners all had outstanding runs, with two athletes winning prizes and others setting new personal bests.
THETFORD athletes turned out in force recently to compete in the City of Norwich Half-Marathon and 5k race.
On an overcast and cold day the Thetford runners all had outstanding runs, with two athletes winning prizes and others setting new personal bests.
In the 5km race the results were as follows.
Jason Higgins was the first Thetford runner home in a time of 18 mins 27 secs, followed by Philip Waity in 19:27 and Joseph Kirton in 19:33.
You may also want to watch:
The Thetford ladies enjoyed tremendous success.
Megan Norry, competing in her first 5k road race and one of the youngest competitors, finished in an outstanding time of 20:22 to take second prize in the female category, closely followed by Lucy Tyler taking third prize in 20:23.
- 1 Training at RAF base given positive rating by Ofsted
- 2 Man due in court in connection with Norfolk stab attack
- 3 Sex abuse survivor hits out at attacker's sentence
- 4 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 5 Two men arrested on suspicion of money laundering in Thetford
- 6 WATCH: Norfolk troops train ahead of peacekeeping mission in Mali
- 7 Gym becomes community hub with café and barber shop
- 8 The story of Mildenhall's workhouses uncovered after 100 years
- 9 Fighter jets from RAF Lakenheath to fly over London NFL games
- 10 Retired firefighter looks back at four-day Thetford factory blaze 30 years on
Corrina Smith finished as first over-40 female in a time of 22:43, and Rachel Toms, in her first race in a Thetford vest, finished in 23:26.
In the half marathon, a record field of 2,000 runners took part in the two-lap 13.1 mile race.
First home for Thetford was Stuart Faust in a time of 1 hour 25 minutes 13 seconds.
He was followed by Phil Bower in 1-32:50, Paul Taverner in 1-41:58, Carl Higgins in 1-42:40, Tony Tyler in 1-44:08, Dean Kirton in 1-44:32 and Cliff Lear in 1-45:41.
First home for the Thetford ladies was Hayley Cocksedge in a new personal best time of 1-56:46, followed by Rebekah McNicol in 2-04:33, Rosemary Matlock in 2-11:56, Angela McCarthy in 2-17:24 and Rita Norry in 2-23:05.