Patched-up Bridgham give visitors Watton a good game


- Credit: Archant

Bridgham United entertained Division One outfit Watton United Reserves in the third round of the Ben Smith Cup and gave a good account of themselves before going down 2-1.

Due to a host of unavailable players Bridgham had to sign six players on prior to the match just to get a side out to play the game.

Bridgham made the dream start when they took the lead with a superb cross shot from Tom Wood after only two minutes.

Bridgham were playing well and Wood saw another effort well saved and fired another shot just pass the post. Watton created a good chance but failed to finish it as both side completed well in a good first half.

Watton started the second half on top and equalised on 49 minutes as they beat the offside trap and scored for 1-1.

Within a minute Wood nearly scored again but his effort went the wrong side of the post whilst at the other end Bridgham keeper Dan Bryant saved well to deny Watton.

On 58 minutes Watton took the lead when their striker turned well and fired into the corner for 2-1.

Most Read

Bridgham continued to battle well and created some good chances which they failed to take whilst Watton also continued to have good spells.

The game ended with Bridgham applying pressure looking for an equaliser and they came very close in the final minute but Simon Sutcliffe just failed to convert a chance at the back post when a goal looked likely.

Credit to all the Bridgham players who put in a good shift in a very patched up side and gave Watton a good game. Man-of-the-match was midfielder George Palmer.

Watton’s first team were in action at UEA in DIvision One of the Anglian Combination and turned in an excellent performance against high-flying opponents to win 2-1, with both of the goals being scored by Ty Bond.

They go into the festive break 11th in the table, six points clear of the relegation zone.

It’s a tight division this season with the top seven separated by just three points. Mundford are third after a 3-1 win at Yelverton. Tom Crabb scored for the home side but Ian Fancett (2) and Adam Leamon earned the Stags the win.

In Division Two Thetford Rovers shared the points with visitors Gayton United after a 3-3 draw.