Outstanding end to the season for Thetford Ladies Hockey Club
Lowestoft Railway 1 Thetford Ladies 3
Five wins and one draw over six weeks secured a comfortable sixth place for Thetford in the Marshall Motor Group Premier Division.
The season has been filled with hard work, with the team fielding 10 players on most of their 22 games. And their true grit and determination finally paid off.
On Saturday, Kathy Hammond scored the first goal – tapping the ball through the keeper’s feet. Railway equalised with a well placed strike from a short corner. Thetford had much to do, with Charlie Harwood, Sarah Nichol, Sharon Brimson and Karen Hodgkinson running hard and making the space to attaack.
Chris Church, Sophie Kelly and Alena Sweigart made their usual cracking efforts in defence, with Abby Rolph kicking the ball away or covering off well. After half time, Kelly started a run on her own, beating several players and reaching the D before being awarded a short corner. She converted with a great scoop over the keeper into the backboard. Hammond scored a second time from Leanne Smith’s rebounded shot. Warren Services player of the match: Sarah Nichol.
You may also want to watch:
n The week before, Dawn Heavey scored both goals for Thetford against visitors Pelicans. Despite the heat, Thetford made use of their stick work and ran hard to make sure of this win. Warren Services player of the match: Alena Sweigart.
- 1 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 2 Man rescued from van after collision with tractor
- 3 'Extensive damage' caused as business centre is flooded
- 4 Parts of Thetford hit by flooding due to heavy rain
- 5 Thetford counts costs after 5cm of rain falls in 30 minutes
- 6 Cows cause congestion after wandering into RAF Lakenheath viewing area
- 7 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
- 8 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 9 Augmented reality Gruffalo trail launches in forest
- 10 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone