One win and one near miss for Malvern at Thetford Golf Club
- Credit: Archant
Thetford Golf Club’s ladies’ vice-captain Margaret Hayward produced an excellent round of 89-19-70 in hot conditions to win the Rhoda Arthur Trophy.
She finished two strokes clear of Kath Malvern (78-6-72) with Alison Jones in third place with 88-16-72.
Kath had won the Ladies’ Centenary Trophy with 83-6-77, one better than Jane Herrington (94-16-78), who was runner-up on countback from Dawn Dixon 100-22-78.
Another ladies’ trophy was at stake when Pam Ellis and Vicki Smith finished top of the list for the Johnston Sidgwick Tankards foursomes competition. They returned 99-26.5-73.5 to win by one stroke from Jan Bone and Sue Pitcher (85-10.5-74.5). Third place went to Sharon Caws and Liz Wigg with 89-14-75.
Thetford Ladies are still going strong in Division Three of the Norfolk LCGA Inter-Club League. Their latest success was after another close match, winning 4-3 away to Swaffham. Kath Malvern beat former Thetford member Abigail O’Riordan by two holes in the top match, and Janice Fossey and Jan Bone also won. The last two players, Wendy Puttock and Sharon Caws, both ended all square to secure the win.
You may also want to watch:
The annual mid-summer Champagne Breakfast Texas Scramble was won by Matt Harben, Dean Scott, Robbie O’Brien and Gary Scott. They went round in gross 59, 13 under par, for a nett score of 56.2. Robert Bentley, David Fawcett, Steve Steeds and Paul Garnham were runners-up with 63-5.2-57.8 and third place went to Ed Cole, Dave Bennett, Terry Pettitt and Frank Knight with 66-7.5-58.5.
A highlight of the day was a hole-in-one by Sue Pitcher at the 11th, using a rescue club.
- 1 Two men arrested on suspicion of money laundering in Thetford
- 2 Retired firefighter looks back at four-day Thetford factory blaze 30 years on
- 3 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
- 4 Cat left 'terrified' after being dumped next to road by driver
- 5 Gym becomes community hub with café and barber shop
- 6 21-year-old airlifted to hospital after car crashes into trees
- 7 The story of Mildenhall's workhouses uncovered after 100 years
- 8 Pretty town centre terrace is for sale by auction - and it needs doing up!
- 9 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 10 New community hub for Thetford after girl's terrifying attack
Captain Trevor Wignall’s team secured a 3-2 win over senior captain Gary Goodchild’s team in the annual challenge match. Trevor and Mike McBride led the way with a win in the top match against Gary and Tom Langlands. Brian Chadwick and Dick Ellis also won for the captain while John Balster and Don Carlin won for the seniors and the other two matches ended all square.
Midweek Stableford: 41pts Alastair Hutt (13) on countback from Stephen McIlroy (27), 40 Kevin Cooke (9), 39 Tim McAlinden (12), 38 Ken Kirwan (25), 36 Robert Bentley (14), James Camilleri (9), John Tapp (22), Jim Atherton (21), Rafe Ashby (13), Tim Elliott (10) and Norman Hargreaves (20).