No revenge for Thetford Town

Whitton United 4, Thetford Town 1

Thetford went to Whitton United looking to avenge an FA Cup exit earlier in the season.

The game started at pace on a slippery pitch the early exchanges saw more of Whitton with the ball and they took the lead on 13 minutes when a corner was not cleared for the ball to be headed in.

Town could not get a hold on the game and Whitton increased their lead on 23 minutes when a long throw went through the defence and was slotted in at the far post.

Town fought back and Richards came close with a header on 28 minutes and then Dixon was put through only to see Moyes get a foot to clear the ball.

Town finished the half looking to pull a goal back.

Town started the half looking to score and did so within two minutes when good work from Howard saw Mann score from close range.

Most Read

The game went from end to end with a good chance for Whitton well saved by Bolderstone. Dixon then had a good chance to draw town level but shot wide.

Whitton sealed the points on 70 minutes when with a hint of offside they scored from close range but the goal was allowed to stand. Town pushed forward and Whitton added a fourth just before the end.

Team: Bolderstone, Clayton, Thompson, Richards, Scott, Jones (Joseph), Howard, Bolton (Old), Bruno, Mann (Bond), Dixon.

This Saturday Town entertain Saffron Walden Town, 3pm kick off.

Meanwhile Thetford’s local rivals Swaffham have got a busy week ahead after a heavy defeat at the hands of Gorleston.

The first team host Whitton United on Saturday (ko 3pm) and three days later are at Downham Town (7.45pm) in the First Division Knock-out Cup.

Gorleston 7, Swaffham Town 2

This was a result which did not reflect the true spirit of this fixture – a sentiment echoed by Rchard Daniels, Gorleston manager.

A strong wind and slippery conditions gave both sides difficulties.

An early defensive mistake was punished by the home side, taking the lead with only four minutes gone.

The Pedlars fought back and were back in the game in the tenth minute, Nathan Cross finishing from a Joe Jackson delivery.

Further confusion at the back gave Gorleston there second and third goals in the thirteenth and thirty eighth minutes respectively. Jake Platten came close for the Pedlars, a supurb strike from 20 yards, hitting a post.

Gorleston’s fourth was from a controversial penalty decision on forty five minutes. The Pedlars straight back after the restart, brilliant build-up play to finally give sixteen year old Platten, his reward and open his season’s goal account.

It was 4-2 at half time, the next goal was surely going to decide the way that the fixture ended?

Gorleston came out strongly and hit their fifth in the 52nd minute. Dean Mayes pulled off a fine save to deny a further attempt soon afterwards.

David Weaver-Pope and Chris Ward came on to replace Richard Cornwall and Mehdi Mehrpour, the Pedlars changing their shape in an attempt to draw the scores closer. Number six came in the 80th minute, Gorleston fortunate not to be found offside.

Shaun Massingham replaced Ben Durrent in the 81st minute. The final punishment came in injury time, the home side making it lucky seven.

Despite the scoreline, Swaffham played some fine football and confidence in this young, aspiring team is growing.