No goals and just one point from two games for Thetford Town

Schoolhouse returned to the top of the Evening News and Copy IT Norwich Sunday League Premier Divisi

Schoolhouse returned to the top of the Evening News and Copy IT Norwich Sunday League Premier Division at the weekend, bouncing back from the previous weeks defeat with a resounding 6-2 home win over DE FC. Picture: Archant - Credit: Archant

Thetford Town have suffered two disappointing results in space of five days - after starting the new Thurlow Nunn Premier Division campaign in impressive style.

Town went into last week’s midweek clash with Kirkley & Pakefield in good heart after winning four of their opening five league fixtures.

But they were held to frustrating goalless draw at Mundford Road, with a man being sent off late on, before crashing to a 5-0 defeat at Saffron Walden Town on Saturday.

There was a spell of early pressure from Thetford against Kirkley but fine Rogers saves kept them at bay.

On 43 minutes good work by Baker and Haverson saw efforts kept out before Williams hit wide from close in with the goal at his mercy. Then Kyle Baker was through on goal only to be brought down on the edge of the area, with the tackle resulting in Baker having to leave the field after lengthy treatment with a serious looking injury that required him to go to hospital. Substitute Joel Wilson replaced him and the resulting free-kick was blocked twice.

In the 55th minute a Williams free-kick from some 40 yards out was spilled by home keeper Barnes but nobody could take advantage.

The all action match then saw substitute Wilson fire in from 35 yards almost beating the keeper who finger tipped away for a corner. At the other end Rogers brilliantly tipped over and then made a further good follow-up save.

Most Read

There was a painful ending for Town in the 90th minute a poor tackle on Blades saw Danny Willis shown a straight red card, with Blades also having to leave the field injured to be replaced by Miguel Lopez for the final few minutes.

If a goaless home draw was a disappointment then Saturday’s defeat at Walden was a real body blow. Town defended poorly before the break to go 3-0 down and then conceded a couple more in the final quarter to slip to a comprehensive defeat.

They will be hoping for something a lot better when they play host to newly promoted Coggeshall, who have started the season in impressive fashion, on Saturday (3pm)