Narrow defeat for Thetford at Newmarket
- Credit: Mark Westley Photography
Thetford went down the A11 to Newmarket for a third against fourth clash.
The visitors had their regular class on show with Aaron Stokoe, Luke Boynes, Josh Clark, Zak Pizzey along with Matt Duggan all in the squad that had come out with a 37-31 win over Thurston last weekend.
Unfortunately for the team in red and white it wasn’t them who scored first because from a missed tackle Newmarket could use a two-on-one nicely meaning they could bag a try which was then converted. The advantage was increased as Newmarket’s second row dropped into the pocket for a drop goal which gave them a 10-0 lead.
Thetford showed parts of their free flowing running game though as they replied with a brilliant try after Boynes stepped four forwards, passed to half back partner Adam Harper whose perfect pass went straight to flanker Kai Steven. He ran in to score the try under the sticks so Boynes could drop kick the extra two points. Although at times there was good running rugby for the full 80 minutes there was some massive hits and fine rucking from second row pair Rory Williams and Ashley Cotton aswell as Pizzey and Roger Cash.
After half time Thetford tried to find the passes and running lines to get them over the whitewash. Clark was running hard lines with second half wingers Richie Brand and Michael Stickland in support. Up front all eight forwards were making tackles and being mobile around the park. Newmarket were the first scorers though with a nice try and their kicker was on point with the conversion and a penalty. But Thetford finished the game how they wish they started it. A line-out on the Newmarket five-metre, Pizzey plucked Stevens’ throw out the the air, the pack drove the maul and out came Cash to dot down on the left hand corner for Thetford to earn the losing bonus point.
You may also want to watch:
Enviro Waste man of the match: Luke Boynes.
- 1 Wanted man identified after Thetford shop burglary
- 2 Brandon bungalow blaze thought to be started by faulty boiler
- 3 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 4 Man due in court in connection with Norfolk stab attack
- 5 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 6 Work starts on new £4.2m housing project in Norfolk village
- 7 Bryan Cranston to Meghan Markle - how USO show brings stars to our region
- 8 US Air Force issues warning over increased flying this week
- 9 Sex abuse survivor hits out at attacker's sentence
- 10 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash