Mundford CC frustrated despite big hitting Long
On the first Saturday where the pitches have not been wet, it was a surprise when Great Melton won the toss and elected to bowl on a great batting wicket.
Opening pair Matthew Goodrham and Ryan Woods started well with Woods hitting any bad or full balls to the boundary, though he was the first to go for a well made 20.
Goodrham and Robin Yates put on a much needed partnership, ended when Goodrham went for 43. This brought in Kieron Long, who carried on the good work. Yates soon brought up his 50 but a mix up brought a run out and the end of his innings.
Mark Wyatt, Ian Harrison and Pete Brassett came and went, but Alex Bailey and Long took the score past 200, Long hitting one of the biggest sixes seen at the ground for many years to pass 50 as Mundford finished on 238-7.
Wayward bowling helped Melton off to a good start. Chris White took two wickets in as many balls with two great balls but Melton put on a 60 run partnership for the fourth wicket before Bailey picked up two wickets to turn the game Mundford’s way.
You may also want to watch:
Another impressive partnership saw Melton resume control, but skipper Brassett broke it with a juggled caught and bowled. This slowed up the run rate. Brassett and Bailey took another wicket each with the other spinner Mark Leeder bowling his normal good areas without much luck. Leeder and Bailey kept it tight and this allowed White to come back to try and get the final two wickets – but it wasn’t to be.
It was the third game in a row that Mundford felt they should have won, but they are third in the table and entertain second-placed Winterton on Saturday before the Carter Plate game on Sunday against division one side Dereham.
- 1 Tributes flood in for Dad's Army superfan and family man Neville
- 2 Build of new school building could see more places for SEND children
- 3 Drug-driver's pickup cannoned off-duty detective's car into oncoming traffic
- 4 UEA expert in infectious diseases expects delay to 'Freedom Day'
- 5 Drunk inmate threatened to stab prison officer
- 6 Road reopens after crash between car and lorry
- 7 New date for trial of five accused of Thetford murder
- 8 New transporter bike for wheelchair users launched at Thetford Forest
- 9 Task force to assess future developments of West Suffolk's markets
- 10 Man, 18, arrested in connection with serious sexual assault
GFC man of the match: Kieron Long.