Men record narrow win in Thetford Golf Club’s Challenge of the Sexes
- Credit: Archant
There was a remarkably close finish to the annual Challenge of the Sexes for the Millennium Claret Jug at Thetford Golf Club on Sunday.
The format was a Greensomes Stableford, with the five best cards from the seven pairs taking part deciding the destination of the trophy.
The men built up a big lead but then word came in that the final ladies’ pair, Shelly Pleasance and Jenny Rowe, were compiling a great score.
They signed for a staggering 47 points - and then found they were agonisingly one short overall. The men’s total was 162 and the ladies’ 161.
The ladies’ captain Gill Welham presented club captain Trevor Wignall with the trophy by the closest possible margin.
You may also want to watch:
The Ladies’ Autumn Closed Meeting on Tuesday was a high/low drawn Greensomes event.
The weather was kind, remaining dry although chilly at times.
- 1 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 'Vital' washing and cooking facilities to help homeless opens in town
- 4 Norfolk and Suffolk election 2021: No change in Breckland
- 5 Emotional great grandma meets nine-month-old twins for first time
- 6 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 7 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 8 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 9 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 10 Town planning for future of theatre and swimming pool at historic convent
Everyone at the club was thrilled that the pairing of Shelly Pleasance and Olive Hambling won the event with an amazing score of 41 points as Olive has only just come back from injury after a very difficult year.
Shelly, who plays off four, couldn’t believe her luck to have 19 strokes for the competition and obviously made very good use of them as their score was seven points clear of the second-placed pairing of Helen Ayres and Liz Wigg.
Third place went to Liz Robinson and Sheena Setchell on 31 points with Vera Squirrell and Alison Jones fourth on 30 points.
October Midweek Medal: Thomas Campbell 87-17-70, Paul Waters 82-10-72, James Tyler 74-1-73, Geoff Clements 84-10-74, Robert Setchell 78-4-74, Gary Tilbrook 89-15-74, Richard Garwood 77-2-75, Wayne Prigg 89-14-75, Ian Edmundson 87-10-77, Steve Cobb 87-10-77, Barry parr 96-19-77.
Billiards: West Acre’s Phillip Welham won the UK Seniors’ Championship at the weekend when competing at Derby’s Cueball Club.
The West Acre player had comfortable wins to reach the quarter-finals before seeing off Chris Achilles (England) and former world professional top-10 ranked player Davey Sneddon (Scotland).
The three times former national champion then met Brian Harvey in the 60-minute final and found his best form, defeating the Somerset man 507-88.